2 of 2
New to Rose and slightly disappointed
Posted: 25 April 2012 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

You can syrup the cake anytime the cake is room temp (either before or after freezing) according to the proportions/directions in the wedding cake section.  Ideally, after syruping the cake would sit for 12-24 hours to allow the syrup to distribute more evenly.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 28 April 2012 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1184
Joined  2009-11-24
slice79 - 14 April 2012 04:55 AM

Thank you ladies so much for your replies!  I haven’t given up yet! smile  I really do appreciate the way TCB is written.  I feel like I reread it over and over just for her techniques and rationale behind how cakes work.  Such a smart woman! smile  I am excited to try this fudge cake now that so many of you have recommended.  I’ll try all the ones you gals have said to try!

Julie.. I never even thought to look at the protein ration of my cake flour.. I go between Swans and softsilk? Or something like that brand? I always look at my all purpose flour and pick between Golds and King Arthur (because Cook’s Illustrated tells me to do so).. but I never thought to look at my cake flour! Go figure!

So I’ve been looking at the cake central forum for a while too because it seems like that’s a common place for cake decorators.. but I’ve been sooooo disappointed that most of them use boxed cake mixes to doctor up and sell.  Looking for a quality cake recipe from scratch is so hard to find!  I was really hoping to find the absolute best cakes in TCB.  I still appreciate the cakes I’ve made.. and the quality.  But I do think it’s not to my tastes.  I’ll keep trying though.  THere have been too many successes from you ladies for me to give up hope. smile

Do any of you ladies do any cake sculpting work?  Do you have a cake recipe that you would use that would be sturdy enough?  If the mousseline doesn’t crust, does it firm up under refrigeration or is it pretty much the same consistency as the room temperature consistency? Does it crust at all when refrigerated?  I’ll post my very very shotty attempt at my 2nd tiered cake here so you can see how my bottom layer is sinking. smile  Don’t laugh. smile

Congrats.. I am so glad you kept at it.  I also just defer to Rose or Cook’s Illustrated when choosing brands.  For consistency sake, I use Gold Medal. 

Yes, it is a shame how many people sell / make fancy decorated cakes from a box.  Really, the recipes from Rose are quality.  Do note, however, the texture for the scratch cakes is different from the box cakes.  My first attempt with TCB was disappointing to me also.  We have probably mentioned this but following Rose’s directions and weighing the ingredients make for great success.  Hanging around this forum contributed significantly to my success. I typically run searches when I am about to bake something for other folks experiences and tips.  I am still working on pretty but everyone LOVES!!!!! the taste of my cakes. 

I did cookies for a long time also….then started baking cakes.  I have not baked cookies in a while.  My first successful scratch cake was a pound cake.  Before Rose, I also had a popular chocolate and a carrot cake recipee.  I agree finding a good scratch can be hard….Most of the time, I love Rose’s recipes.  I also like the Yellow Cake on Cook’s Illustrated but do not use it as it is not scaleable like Rose’s.  And, CI’s Lemon Pound cake is wonderful. 

I think your cake looks great.  I do not cover cakes in fondant but I sometimes use fondant cutouts.  I put the cutouts se on a cake that I have allowed to firm up in the fridge. 

My first attempts at Mousselline had bits of sugar also.  I think you need to be certain not to go over the temperature.  Using a thermometer helps.  I pour straight from the pan now but you have to make certain not to get any on the beater.  BTW, I think the reason for transferring to glass is to stop the cooking.  So again, I think temp is important. 

Have fun… I look forward to seeing more of your creations.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 August 2012 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-11

I have been a pastry baker for several years and have created many wedding cakes.  I bought her book with high aspirations to expand my repertoire and honestly, have never had anything in this book turn out as well as the recipes I’ve perfected over the years. I too have had cake results that are dry and tasteless. My most recent attempt was her white chocolate cream cheese buttercream.  I used Callebaut white chocolate and the texture of this buttercream is a too gelatinous nor does it pipe beautifully like Rose states in her book.  I was happy someone else out there experienced what I have.  Now i can in good consciencious discard the book that has caused me so much grief! If you want to create some wonderful cakes get Bo Friberg’s professional pastry books.  His recipes work.  I apologize to all you Rose fans.

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-08-18

I purchased RHC last year and have tried several of the cake recipes and sadly, nobody seemed to much care for them. I keep trying and trying and wondering what on earth I could be doing wrong.  I go by weight, follow directions, time accurately, have had my oven checked, all to no avail.  All prefer the cake box cakes that incorporate a cake extender of flour, sugar, and sour cream.  The people that have tried say they prefer the flavor, moistness, and texture of the box cake plus extender (the only type I use is Duncan Hines white or fudge, then add lemon peel, strawberry puree, etc to achieve the flavors because I can’t stand the off taste of any of the other flavors). At this point, I’m about to throw my hands in the air, and say ok, you want box…box you get! So frustrating!

2 of 2