1 of 2
Strawberry Time
Posted: 11 June 2008 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-11-16

Strawberry season has begun in the NE! We’re making jam as I type. I consider a successful strawberry season one during which we eat, can and freeze so many, I don’t care that there will be no more till next year.

What are your favorite strawberry recipes?

Fran

Posted: 11 June 2008 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Cordon Rose Strawberry Conserve with a drop of La Cuisine’s wild strawberry essence.  There is just no better way to capture strawberries.

We grow local strawberries, the super expensive Kula berries, but I still don’t find them great.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 11 June 2008 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Yummmm! So jealous, it’s winter here and my strawberry plants are busy dying off ;(

Love fresh strawberry jam (preserves/conserve) using lemon juice for the pectin, preferably warm from the pan!

Also,  strawberries sliced in half, then drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar served over vanilla bean icecream.
Sprinkled with a little finely chopped fresh basil if you have it (must be fresh not dried basil).

And I love:

Strawberry and basil ‘bruchetta’:

2 slices cinnamon or raisin bread
1/4 cup mascarpone (you can substitute philly cream cheese if you can’t get mascapone)
3 tablespoons honey
4 large strawberries, rinsed and hulled, cut in half
1 T fresh basil leaves, chopped into fine ribbons (chiffonade)

Toast the slices of bread, then cut diagonally for four toast “points.” If making for canapes you can you can use a round cuttersand cut out toast rounds but you will need more bread).
(You can substitute mini tart canape shells for the bread if you want but I suggest sprinkling with a little cinnamon sugar prior to filling to give a flavour kick).

Mix together mascarpone and honey. Pipe or spread honey mascarpone mixture onto bread. Sprinkle with basil chiffonade. Top with strawberries and remaining basil.

Actually I confess to just dipping the strawberries in the honey and mascapone mix at times too smile
Enjoy those lovely strawberries!

Posted: 11 June 2008 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Ditto on the strawberries with vanilla and balsamic - yum!  I think my favorite way to eat them is slicked and sprinkled with a touch of sugar.  I haven’t made Rose’s conserve, but I adore the Strawberry Puree recipe - an excellent use of frozen strawberries.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 June 2008 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Strawberries with Chantilly Cream is my downfall. I make Chantilly Cream in my Isi Whipper, using a tablespoon of powdered sugar for 2 cups of heavy cream, and a half-teaspoon of vanilla extract. Talk about a fast and easy dessert. My husband is totally hooked on this combination—and all these years he’s been telling me he doesn’t like whipped cream. It’s because he thought whipped cream meant Cool Whip.

Posted: 12 June 2008 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

This is going to sound really anti-scratch of me but I love macerated strawberries and whipped cream over Bisquick biscuits with a touch of suagr on top for crunch!
I should just make my own buttermilk biscuits, which wouldn’t be too hard, but when I have strawberries around I want to use them right away and I don’t always have buttermilk around.
Am I fired from the forums?
smile

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 12 June 2008 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
StartfromScratch - 12 June 2008 04:33 PM

This is going to sound really anti-scratch of me but I love macerated strawberries and whipped cream over Bisquick biscuits with a touch of suagr on top for crunch!
I should just make my own buttermilk biscuits, which wouldn’t be too hard, but when I have strawberries around I want to use them right away and I don’t always have buttermilk around.
Am I fired from the forums?
smile

No doubt a comfort food from your past… we all have them smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 12 June 2008 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19

I have a confession: I love pancakes made with Bisquick, probably because that’s what I grew up eating for breakfast.

Posted: 12 June 2008 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Since we’re spilling our guts here… I’ve always loved Jell-o instant pistachio pudding smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 12 June 2008 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Back to strawberries, I love home-made jam too. Rose’s way of concentrating the juices is a stroke of genius!

Also strawberry shortcakes (I do make my own biscuits, despite my own fond memories of Bisquick pancakes and biscuits from childhood). Also strawberries over vanilla ice cream. I like to keep it simple. Just enjoy those fresh berries!

Must get some really good balsamic vinegar! I’ve also come across a suggestion of using a touch of rosewater on berries. Sounds interesting.

It’s finally berry season here in southern Wisconsin. Time to visit one of the pick-your-own places. I just hope they haven’t all rotted away, with all the rains we’ve had recently.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 12 June 2008 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19

Even though this is slightly off-topic, I just have to respond to Patrincia’s confession about Jell-o pistachio pudding. When I was growing up, one of my favorite summertime desserts was something called “Pistachio Lust.” It was made in a 9x 13 pan with a graham cracker crust, pistachio pudding, and Cool Whip on the top. It was refrigerated until firm, and then cut into squares. Does anybody remember this dessert? My best friend and I would several pieces in one sitting. I don’t think I could enjoy it now because of the Cool Whip, although an upscale version made from scratch might be quite delicious.

Posted: 13 June 2008 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Yeah… another pistachio pudding fan smile.  Christine… anytime I run across a recipe that calls for Cool Whip, I just simply substitute Chantilly Cream - makes it even better!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 14 June 2008 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

My sainted Norwegian grandmother always fed us strawberry jello. Strawberry jello chopped into tiny pieces in milk with a spoonful of sugar on top. I dream about those little red bits of gelatin floating in the white milk sometimes.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 14 June 2008 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-04-24

I like processing frozen strawberries with unflavored yogurt. It is delicious and refreshing and you can use sweetener instead of sugar if you have to. Works great with frozen mango too.

Posted: 14 June 2008 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

My favorite Cake Bible strawberry recipies are Strawberry Maria, with a little extra puree in the cloud cream, and Strawberry Savarin, which I just made for a book group last week - great in the summer!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 15 June 2008 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

A local hangout when I was a twenty-something served Italian sausage shaped into patties on a bun with slices of strawberry. It sounds weird, but it was good. The sweetness and the tang sort of did the job of ketchup and fresh tomato at once. I’ve enjoyed it since when I had enough strawberries that I was willing to go beyond the classics.

Cathy

1 of 2