How to make cakes moister
Posted: 19 April 2012 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-04-19

Hi Everyone,
Im new to this forum and very excited to chat and share baking experiences and tips with you all!

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experiences on how to make their cakes more “moist”
I have read a lot about people suggesting oil in their cake batters, but then dont the cakes turn out more dense?
I have always used butter which creates a whipped effect and produces more air for rising, but sometimes the cakes are not as moist as I would like them to be, even though I make sure to pull out of the oven as soon as I insert a toothpick and I see some crumbs.

I have also heard about replacing half the butter with oil, adding some mayo, yogurt, or sour cream to the batter but not sure how much and whether this “addition” would impact the chemical reaction in the recipe?

Any insights would help!  grin  Thanks

Posted: 27 April 2012 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-04-19

Thanks all for your responses!

I have heard of the syruping method, which sounds intersting… and the chiffon is a good one too!

But I had recently heard about the foil as soon as the cake comes out of the oven too… which I have tried and its not bad smile

Prettycake: when you use half oil, half butter…do you melt the butter and measure it the same way as you would oil?  And Julie, how would I overcome the subbing oil for butter even though butter is only 81% fat and remaining water mositure?  You’re absolutely correct that the ingredients need to be substituted accordingly and I dont want a cake failure !!

Posted: 09 July 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-06-25

Per Anne, previously in this thread:
“Another possibility is to syrup your butter cakes.  Again, I’m not a fan, but many are, and, if the weight of the sugar in the syrup is equal to the weight of the sugar in the cake, it will moisten, but not sweeten, the cake.  Several of Rose’s recipes call for syrups—the lemon poppyseed bundt cake from RHC comes immediately to mind—but you can syrup any butter cake.  You can also flavor the syrup with liquers and such if you want to….

Of rose’s cakes, I’ve found the Golden Luxury Butter Cake to be the moistest and fluffiest.  It uses white chocolate for part of the sugar (and fat), as well as all egg yolks.  It’s my favorite yellow cake.  I think that buttermilk is supposed to produce a very moist cake, so you might want to try the TCB buttermilk country cake and see if you like it.  It also uses all yolks, but you can sub 2 eggs for 4 yolks if you prefer (I like all yolks, myself)—Rose does this when she uses this cake as the base for the RHC spice cake.”

Hello All,
I was excited to see this thread about keeping cakes moist, as I am making the second of two wedding cakes for friends this summer. (My first wedding cake was just 2 weeks ago, and it went very well, thanks to members of this forum!) The next wedding is in 2 weeks and I would like to assemble the cakes 2 days ahead so. i can attend a family tea for the bride the day before the wedding. I have tried syruping before, but it is a mystery to me. I know Rose has a chart in TCB that I can use as a guide, but how do I gauge how much is actually enough for my cake? I did try to syrup a cake once, but it definitely was not enough, or I didn’t give it enough time to distribute throughout the cake. (I was afraid it would turn to mush.) Does anyone have any tips on this?

I was also happy to see Anne’s reference to Golden Luxury, and mention of subbing whole eggs, as this is the cake I was planning to use. I’m planning on subbing 2 eggs for 4 of the 6 yolks, just because I would like a paler yellow cake (& maybe subbing part of the milk for buttermilk for moistness?) Will it still stand up to the filling I’m planning to use, which is a white choc frosting bumped up with raspberry puree and sprinkled with red raspberries inside - a 3-tier cake.  (Thanks to Prettycake for answering my questions yesterday about the longevity of fresh raspberries in the filling- she made a beauty of a Red Raspberry Cake that’s displayed in Show&Tell;.).

Any helpful comments, ideas or tips about any of the above would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: 14 July 2013 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

Thank You Julie,
I will plan to use the 1:2 syrup to sugar ratio.  I chickened out on converting the Golden Luxury Cake to a wedding cake and used Rose’s Yellow Base butter cake wedding cake formula instead, (very straightforward and took out the guesswork on my part!) I made 6-10-14” sizes, which I froze. I’ve been doing all the research I can on syrup on buttercakes, and many people (Anne in NC for one) say they are not a fan of it - can you tell me the downside? I tried to follow on the advice I’ve seen on avoiding dryness in the large tier, but is it inevitable? I think I’m fixating on DRY WEDDING CAKE!

Posted: 15 July 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

grin THANKS for your comments Julie - just what I needed to hear, and informative.