Chocolate Streusel Coffee Cake
Posted: 20 April 2012 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Today I made the Chocolate Streusel Coffee Cake from RHC. It was the first time I have made this cake. I baked it in a 6-cup bundt and made 2 cupcakes in ramekins with the remaining batter. 

I made the Chocolate Drizzle, also from RHC, to drizzle over the cake. I really wasn’t prepared to make the drizzle; I didn’t have heavy cream so I used whole milk instead and I didn’t have the right chocolate so I used chocolate chips.

The cake is moist, the chocolate in the center is rich and the crumb is perfect.  The drizzle was perfect with the cake.

My husband loved this cake so much, he ate 2 pieces tonight. This cake is going to go fast.

My husband asked me how I got the chocolate in the middle. I didn’t tell him, a girl has to have some secrets.

Image Attachments
IMG_5610.jpg

Posted: 20 April 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2011-10-15

I love that cake too and yours looks perfect!

Posted: 20 April 2012 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

It does look perfect!!! Great job on the glaze, too!  Nothing more fun than when people have two pieces!

And heh heh re the chocolate filling!!!!!!!

Posted: 20 April 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you! My husband took a piece to work for himself and one for a co-worker. Now there are only 2 pieces left so I have to bake something else. I have ingredients coming to room temp for the apple cinnamon surprise from TBB, one of our favs.

Posted: 20 April 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Yum, love seeing your rendition of this cake!  Sounds like it was well-appreciated smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 20 April 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you, it was!

Another thing about this cake is the technique Rose uses.  Her creaming method yielded an incredibly fluffy batter. Much more so than other author’s creaming instructions I’ve encountered.  Then there are books which just tell you to cream without taking you through the steps.

I am going to copy her instructions and apply it to all the other recipe books I have which do not get nearly as good results.

Posted: 20 April 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Her creaming method yielded an incredibly fluffy batter. Much more so than other author?s creaming instructions I?ve encountered.

Thanks for pointing this out!  I haven’t looked at this recipe, becuase I’m not a chocolate streusel fan, but I will definitely scope it for method!!!!

Posted: 20 April 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

You’re welcome! I truly never had a creaming result like I had with this recipe. It is excellent.

The chocolate is cocoa powder mixed with cinnamon and brown sugar. Perhaps you can omit the chocolate and just use cinnamon and brown sugar OR cinnamon and granulated sugar like the filling of the Sour Cream Cake in Baked.

You know, I bet you can replace the chocolate with lemon curd.

Posted: 21 April 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Must say that Rose’s fillings- thinking of bialys and her kugelhopf, which has a chocolate-almond filling- are unbelievably good.  I’ve used them over and over again in other recipes because they are so perfect.  I imagine that this filling is similar. smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 21 April 2012 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hmmm, Julie, I might have to try it, then!

That list just gets longer and longer and longer!!!!