Brioche concerns
Posted: 21 April 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-03-20

Hello, everyone—
I want to try brioche and I want to know if my equipment is up to the job.  My hand mixer will not do.  For Brioche Cake in TCB Rose specifies a heavy stand mixer or bread machine; in RHC the Classic Brioche recipe says a food processor with, preferably, the dough blade.  I have the processor, but only the processing blade that came with the machine.  Any special tips on using the processing blade for the cake?  Could it possibly work with brioche bread?  What I really want to do is make brioche bread by hand.  Would such a project be doomed from the start?   

Made Sicilian Pistachio Cake for the first time.  I made a total of five layers because it was my first outing with my new stove and I wanted to practice.  I varied the flavors of the layers.  I followed the recipe in all respects for two of the layers.  For the other three I replaced pistachio with lemon zest and ground toasted blanched almonds, fresh ground cardamom, and ground toasted sesame seeds.  That’s three different layers, not all that stuff jumbled together!  I frosted everything with Creamy Dreamy White Chocolate Frosting with a tsp of rose water added to the frosting between the layers.  Could have done without the rose water. 

I liked all the different flavorings.  If anything, I was a little timid with them.  Next time I’ll beef up the almond with almond extract.  I’ll use two tsps of cardamom instead of one.  The layer I’ll try again first will be the sesame, and I think I’ll heighten it with a tsp of sesame oil.  I can see where people might find the thought of sesame oil in a cake…unappealing, but I want to try it.

But I write now with brioche concerns.  Can I look forward to decent results with my food processor and processing blade?  Can good brioche be made by hand, or is it next to impossible?

Thank you, as always!

Posted: 21 April 2012 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  705
Joined  2012-01-12

I see a “Tell”  but where is the “Show”  ?  juust wondering..

Posted: 21 April 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-03-20

I guess I posted in the wrong section!  Sorry.  As long as you mentioned showing as well as telling,  here it is

Image Attachments
Sicilian Pistachio Cake, 4-3-12.jpg

Posted: 21 April 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  705
Joined  2012-01-12

Your cake really look so good…  perfect texture and everything.  I’, sure it is scrumptous…

thank U

Posted: 21 April 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I can’t help at all with your brioche concerns, but I do want to say that’s one beautiful, multi-layered, multi-flavored cake!!!!!  What great height!  What great crumb!

I’ve found the same with cardamon—it mellows.  I made a frosting with it and wasn’t sure if it would strengthen or mellow, but it mellowed, so I could definitely have used more.

Sesame cake sounds awesome!!!  You could make Rose’s honey buttercream with it!!  Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…..

Good luck re the brioche!

Posted: 21 April 2012 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2011-02-17

Your cake is perfection!

Posted: 22 April 2012 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-09-27

I’ve made brioche just fine in a food processor.  Butter might need to be a bit colder than normal, though, because the FP heats it up. Just about everyone in the world recommends the regular metal blade, though, including Julia Child.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 April 2012 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Your cake looks scrumptious!  Lots of people make all sorts of bread with their food processor and have great results- I’m not one of them.  It just never seems to work well for me, I never get good texture/structure. 

I’d say try the FP first, as it will be super easy.  If that doesn’t work, you can definitely make brioche by hand, but you need more specialized techniques and a willingness to perservere with very sticky dough.  Perhaps look up the Bertinet method on youtube, and make sure when it comes time to knead in the butter (after you’ve fully developed the structure) that the butter is very soft, softer than for making a cake or creaming.

Good luck, brioche is wonderful, a personal favorite!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II