Wilton guitar-shaped cake baked with flower nail
Posted: 21 April 2012 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2011-10-15

This is a follow up to something I?d mentioned in a previous post. I had made the double-chocolate-whammy groom?s cake from RHC in the Wilton guitar pan and complained that the neck of the guitar was baked far sooner than the body, resulting in that section of the cake being over baked and dry. I wondered if a flower nail would help eliminate the problem.

To test this, I really should have baked the same recipe with the flower nail but I have no plans to make that cake again. Instead, I baked Rose?s carrot cake. The flower nail helped immensely; the neck was baked only 5 minutes ahead of the rest of the cake ? much better than the 15 minute difference with the chocolate cake ? and with a layer of cream cheese buttercream and an overnight rest in the fridge, there was no difference in texture/moistness between the different parts of the cake.

Posted: 21 April 2012 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Excellent!  Glad this idea worked for you—I would be curious to know the difference with the exact same chocolate recipe.  Are there pictures coming?  Would love to see it!

Posted: 21 April 2012 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

I’m pretty confidant this would help with any cake baked in this pan…..I’ve noticed that disparity in baking times with every recipe, even cake mixes. Odd thing though, the nail shifted while the cake baked….I originally had it centered at the widest point of the pan.

This was my 19 year old daughter’s first attempt at decorating a cake….I helped with the sides and bottom piping, but she did everything else.

Image Attachments
carrotguitar2.jpgcarrotguitar6.jpgcarrotguitar3.jpg

Posted: 22 April 2012 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

The cake looks so moist.  Sophia, how do you use a flower nail?

Posted: 22 April 2012 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Really cute cake!  Looks great smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 22 April 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Julie - 22 April 2012 02:20 PM

Really cute cake!  Looks great smile

I thought so too. It certainly looks better than the first frosted cake I made smile

Her friends were very impressed!

Posted: 22 April 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Flour Girl - 22 April 2012 05:10 AM

how do you use a flower nail?

FG, I only use the flower nail for cakes larger than 9?, so this pan qualifies as it?s ~13? across at its widest point. It helps conduct heat to the centre of the cake and allows for more even baking. I make sure the nail is well greased so it releases easily from the cake and insert it flat/disc side down into the centre of the pan before the batter?s added. I remove it once the cake has cooled.

It leaves a small hole in the cake that can be seen on the top and a circular mark on the bottom (which can be seen in my first photo), either of which can be easily hidden with frosting. You can use a heating core as well but I went for the nail as it looked as though it would cause less damage to a cake. I think I first read about them on this forum!

I don’t make that many large cakes so it took a failed cake for me remember that I had one and that it might help with this pan smile

Posted: 22 April 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Sophia! I’ve been considering a heating core. From what I have read, you fill the core with batter so you can patch the hole after the cake is baked and the core is removed. Sounds like a good idea but I agree with you about the nail causing less damage.

I’ll have to add one to my baking gear.