When to make and assemble the cake?
Posted: 22 April 2012 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-04-14

I am making Roses’s Moist Chocolate Raspbertty Genoise from RHC for a birthday party on Saturday, at 2 PM.  Rose recommends making the cake 24 hours ahead of time, however I work. Should I make the cake on Thursday, assemble on Friday night and keep it refrigerated until 2 PM Sautrday? Or make it the night before and assemble it on Saturday morning?

Posted: 22 April 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Except for any fresh raspberry garnish/decoration, I would make, assemble, frost and decorate the cake completely whenever you have time, then freeze the completed cake.  If it’s decorated, put it in the freezer unwrapped just until the outside is firm and frozen, then wrap in a couple of layers of plastic wrap and one of foil and return to the freezer.  On the night before you’d like to serve, put it in the fridge to defrost, then put it out at room temp several hours before serving.  Unwrap it when putting it at room temp so the plastic wrap doesn’t ruin the cake decorations.  Keep it covered, though, either in a cake carrier or with plastic wrap suspended on toothpicks.

If you leave it in the fridge too long (more than the one day that is ideal), it may lose flavor and the syrup may settle at the bottom of the cake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 26 April 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-14
Julie - 23 April 2012 12:54 AM

Except for any fresh raspberry garnish/decoration, I would make, assemble, frost and decorate the cake completely whenever you have time, then freeze the completed cake.  If it’s decorated, put it in the freezer unwrapped just until the outside is firm and frozen, then wrap in a couple of layers of plastic wrap and one of foil and return to the freezer.  On the night before you’d like to serve, put it in the fridge to defrost, then put it out at room temp several hours before serving.  Unwrap it when putting it at room temp so the plastic wrap doesn’t ruin the cake decorations.  Keep it covered, though, either in a cake carrier or with plastic wrap suspended on toothpicks.

If you leave it in the fridge too long (more than the one day that is ideal), it may lose flavor and the syrup may settle at the bottom of the cake.

Thanks so much for your detailed response!  I will make the cake tonight. 

My mixer doesn’t have a whip attachment. Should I do that by hand rather than using regular beaters?

Posted: 26 April 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-26

mmm that cake sounds good! i might try that

Signature 

Krissysmith

Posted: 26 April 2012 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
krazed - 26 April 2012 07:22 PM

My mixer doesn’t have a whip attachment. Should I do that by hand rather than using regular beaters?

Are you referring to whipping the eggs for the genoise?  If so, you can either use the beaters (which is what I would do) or get a tremendous workout doing it by hand.  A hand mixer takes ten minutes on highest speed to whip genoise eggs, I shudder to think how long it would take by hand, probably double that.

Signature 

Posted: 26 April 2012 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-14
Julie - 26 April 2012 11:53 PM
krazed - 26 April 2012 07:22 PM

Are you referring to whipping the eggs for the genoise?  If so, you can either use the beaters (which is what I would do) or get a tremendous workout doing it by hand.  A hand mixer takes ten minutes on highest speed to whip genoise eggs, I shudder to think how long it would take by hand, probably double that.

Thanks again!  I’ll let you know how it turns out.  *fingers crossed*

Posted: 28 April 2012 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-14

I’m a little concerned. I made the raspberry ganache last night and left it out an hour to cool. It didn’t seem like it was stiff enough to frost a cake. Of course, overnight, I put it covered in the fridge and it’s a lot thicker, but won’t it get runny again once it’s on the cake and I’m serving it?

If the ganache is too runny, is there anything I can do about it?

Posted: 28 April 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

As long as you followed the recipe, it’s probably fine. Ganache takes hours and hours to set, often overnight if left at room temp.  Now that it’s been in the fridge, it should be quite firm- is it?

AS long as you don’t warm it above the melting point of chocolate, it shouldn’t liquefy again.  But do bring it back up to room temp before frosting the cake, or it will be too firm and the cake will tear as you try to frost with a stiff frosting.

Signature 

Posted: 28 April 2012 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-14

Yes, it was quite firm after sitting all night. I put it out on the counter as soon as I realized my mistake (looking here on the site).  I watched the video of Rose making ganache earlier too and I did it exactly like that!  (whew)

Luckily, the barbecue/birthday party is fairly casual and I can arrive later when all is well (*positive thinking*).  Thanks so much for your speedy response!!

Posted: 29 April 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-14

Here is the finished cake. It was a success and I thank you for helping me get there!

Image Attachments
chocolate cake with raspberry ganache 3.jpg

Posted: 29 April 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, it looks luscious and beautiful!  How did everyone like it?

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-14

They loved it!  When I told Ken (friend whose birthday prompted my making a raspberry chocolate type cake - his fave) he was taking the rest home, there was no obligatory “well, you take some too.” He immediately said, “of course I’m taking the rest of home!”  He loved it and so did everyone else. The hostess, an avowed no sweets eater, even took a piece and raved about it.

It was a great learning experience.  The ganache holds up so well!  It looked exactly like the picture all afternoon

Posted: 29 April 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Congratulations on your big success.

Posted: 29 April 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations!  Your cake is simply beautiful!  Don’t you just love it when people who don’t normally eat whatever it is you’ve made—and when people definitely want any leftovers!!!!!!!