Blueberry and Lemon Cake
Posted: 22 April 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

Hello All!  You have all always been so helpful.  I know that you all have touched on this and I have been reading your blogs about it.  I just wanted to see if anyone has had any new experiences with the blueberry filling and lemon cake combination?

I am making a cake for my best friend’s baby shower (which has been taken over by her mother in law) so the least I can do is give her CAKE that she likes!

She loves blueberries, so I was thinking of a cake with a touch of lemon flavor, then layered with a blueberry cream filling (she doesn’t like any type of cream cheese/cheesecake though) with ja white chocolate mousseline on the outside that I can color pink and such. 

If anyone has anything new since the last set of postings please chime in!

Thank you!  I am on to another baking adventure!!!

Posted: 22 April 2012 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds like a wonderful cake- you’re a good friend to be giving it to her!

My favorite blueberry-lemon cake is the Golden Dream Wedding cake from RHC with the blueberry topping from TCB, like this one:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3758/

For a more delicate cake, I vote for lemon chiffon layers, i.e., the RHC orange chiffon layer but with the lemon flavorings detailed over on the blog.  And you could use blueberry cloud cream, which would provide a lovely color contrast, or else stabilized whipped cream with whole fresh blueberries mixed in.  Stabilized whipped cream, perhaps with a few drops of lemon oil in addition to the vanilla, could frost the outside if you have access to refrigeration.  I made a cake like this here:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3208/#29795

Good luck, interested to see what you end up making!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 26 April 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank you Julie…I made a fresh blueberry curd last night for the inner layers.  It is very delicious, however a little on the sweet side however.  I was thinking of making more blueberries with no sugar and adding them in.  Would the golden dream cake cut the sweetness a little?  I really want to use the curd as the middle layers, or maybe do a few layers with that and then a few layers with a lemon butter cream that you suggested.  I think i am going to make a 2-3 tier tower square cake that will not have a lot of piping decoration, more so stripes.  I have ordered a lot of butterflies and flower (out of the sugar paper-I don’t have enough time to make them myself).  I am used to working with the mousseline, but is there a better frosting option for this?  I will be piping on extra flowers and butterflies (they will look drawn on though to match the ‘theme-ware’ being provided).  Then I plan tying real ribbon around them.