Using crushed Toffee between cake layers
Posted: 13 June 2008 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-06-13

I am baking a 70th birthday cake to feed 50 people next week, and I am still trying to play with the composition of the cake. Thus far I am thinking of going with Rose’s Banana cake recipe and using a Sour cream/ cream cheese frosting. I am wondering about using a layer of crushed toffee between the cake layers along with a think layer of frosting. However, I am curious as to weather the toffee will become chewy/gummy due to moisture absorption or weather it will retain its crunch. Any experience with this?

Also, any creative thoughts on how to offer a flavor or texture contrast, other than toffee? The banana cake itself is a very flavorful dense cake and I like the light and tangy contrast of the sour cream frosting, but I am still playing with ideas to spice it up a bit.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I am new to this group and appreciated the dialogues that I found on this side.

Thanks,
Erika

Posted: 13 June 2008 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Erika - Here in the South people sure do love their Banana Pudding concoctions which usually consist of banana pudding and Nilla wafers.  Chocolate ganache or chocolate chips also go nicely with banana cake.  Nuts are another option, but might not be the best choice for a 70 year old.

As to your question about the toffee getting gummy… it probably will eventually, but the question is how long will it take.  Why don’t you do a test by stirring some toffee into some frosting and then test it every hour or so to see how the toffee holds up over the course of a day or two.  Please report your findings - I’d love to know what happens.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 June 2008 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

BTW, welcome!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 13 June 2008 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

Patrincia, I know you didn’t wish to offend but your post made me laugh when you said nuts may not be a good idea for a seventy year old!  Can you guess why i find it funny?  Yes, I reach that big number in September!!!!  It does SOUND old but I can tell you when you get there you don’t feel any different, that is if you enjoy good health of course.  I may not be as quick and nimble as I was but in the mind you don’t seem to change, It’s very strange——I’m sure others would agree with me.When you read a headline about an OLD person and they turn out to be younger than yourself it brings it home sometimes but as tey say you’re as young as you feel and hopefully I’ll carry on feeling young! LOL

Posted: 13 June 2008 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
jeannette - 13 June 2008 03:33 PM

Patrincia, I know you didn’t wish to offend but your post made me laugh when you said nuts may not be a good idea for a seventy year old!  Can you guess why i find it funny?  Yes, I reach that big number in September!!!!  It does SOUND old but I can tell you when you get there you don’t feel any different, that is if you enjoy good health of course.  I may not be as quick and nimble as I was but in the mind you don’t seem to change, It’s very strange——I’m sure others would agree with me.When you read a headline about an OLD person and they turn out to be younger than yourself it brings it home sometimes but as tey say you’re as young as you feel and hopefully I’ll carry on feeling young! LOL

Oh no Jeannette… I’m so terribly sorry…  I was going by what my 70 year old relatives preferences are.  You are absolutely right - I’m about to celebrate a big b-day, and even though my mind seems the same as it did when I was in high school, the body doesn’t agree… especially when I look in the mirror smile.  I’ll go crawl under a rock now….
red face

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 13 June 2008 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

Come out, come out , you’re forgiven and I was only joking!  Hope you have a good birthday! grin

Posted: 13 June 2008 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh good smile.... happy early birthday to you too!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 13 June 2008 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-13

Thanks for your response. I’ll take you up on that idea, and try the toffee in the frosting to see how it stays. Maybe another idea would be to use a soft caramel, or something similar, for the in between layer. What are your ideas/ thoughts on flavor/texture combination? Do you think crunchy toffee folded into the soft sour cream frosting be a nice addition?

Thanks for the welcome, and your feedback.

e.

Posted: 13 June 2008 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Erika - 13 June 2008 08:21 PM

Thanks for your response. I’ll take you up on that idea, and try the toffee in the frosting to see how it stays. Maybe another idea would be to use a soft caramel, or something similar, for the in between layer. What are your ideas/ thoughts on flavor/texture combination? Do you think crunchy toffee folded into the soft sour cream frosting be a nice addition?

Thanks for the welcome, and your feedback.

e.

Sure thing!  Page 232 of TCB has a variation of Classic Buttercream called Classic Praline Crunch.  Page 241 has variations of Silk Meringue Buttercream called Praline Silk Meringue and Caramel Silk Meringue.  I don’t know if your sour cream frosting will have too much moisture in it or not.  You’ll have to do a test batch to see how it performs.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 13 June 2008 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Jeannette, Patrincia, back when I was a child several of my grandparents, great-aunts & uncles etc did not like nuts (and other items) because they got stuck in their dental work. And one grandpa had a digestive problem that meant he could not eat anything hard like nuts. So I understand the concern—although that was 35 years ago and many “older” folks now have much better dental work. Health problems, well, that can still vary all over the place…

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 13 June 2008 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

My take if you are thinking toffee, banana, and frosting, is to use crushed nut caramel brittle instead of crushed toffee.  The taste is similar (toffee is largely composed from caramel), but with caramel brittle you don’t get the glue mushy-ness, and the nuts are ALWAYS welcome when crushed plus perfect match with caramel.

Of course, make your own nut caramel brittle!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 14 June 2008 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-13

Thanks Hector, that’s probably more along the lines I was going for.

On a separate note:
As I was doing the math for the quantities to increase the recipe from a 9” to a 12”, I started to wonder how a banana cake would hold up structurally in a 12” size due to it’s density. Would any one have recommendations for maintaining the cake structure? I was wondering if I should slightly reduce baking powder, and perhaps decrease flour slightly.

Thoughts?

Erika

Posted: 15 June 2008 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

most 12” vs 9” are near identical to bake.  dont play with flour, only with baking powder.  reduce.

or keep same and the most cmmon trick is to lower oven heat so cake doesn’t rise in the middle so fast like a volcano.

using a center core can help but it is most helpful when baking larger than 12” or a square cake.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 15 June 2008 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Hi Erika, I doubled Rose’s recipe for banana cake, pp 69-70 TCB, for a client in December. It was the perfect amount for a single 12” x 2” cake pan. Didn’t have to adjust the leavening at all. Look forward to hearing the results of your experiments with the filling.

Posted: 15 June 2008 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-13

Thanks Hector and Patrincia,

That makes the calculating a bit easier.
I will let you know how it goes…and I’m sure I might have a few more questions in the meantime.

This has been a super helpful resource.  smile