Ghost Wedding birthday cake
Posted: 27 April 2012 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-01-07

Hey everyone, I thought I would share this cake/cupcakes I made for a combined birthday party for my daughters last fall.

The cake was a chocolate butter cake recipe out of Cake Bible, I can’t recall which one. It was delightful if a bit on the dense side. The white frosting is Swiss Meringue Buttercream, which I’ve always had better luck with over the more technically demanding Italian Meringue Buttercream. The buttercream was tinted with clear vanilla to try to keep it as white as possible, but it was already pretty off white due to the butter itself.

I made and frosted up about 50 mini cupcakes and the six total layers in the main cake. Each of the three tiers consists of two cake layers laminated with buttercream, trimmed to size and mounted on a trimmed cardboard round. To stack them I inserted three bamboo skewers into each layer and cut them at the surface of the frosting, which would provide support to the cardboard of the next layer. After assembly, I piped some pearls on the bottom edges to hide the messy transitions there.

Each mini cupcake got a roll in white nonpareils to make it look a little snowy.

The ghosts are piped and baked swiss meringue. I thought these would get harder after sitting around for a day, but actually they got softer and quite gooey, which was a real problem! Our friend Justin stopped in that evening, so he helped my wife, my eldest daughter (she was turning 5), and I put faces and clothes on the ghosts. I had previously made up a batch of marshmallow fondant and made up a few color variants by kneading in paste coloring. We rolled these out and cut out little clothes and hats for many of the ghosts.

On top of the cake is the bride and groom. On the sides of the cake platter are the groomsmen and bridesmaids. Then the two wood blocks on either side have the wedding guests on top of cupcakes.

There are a few more pictures and a little more detail on my blog if anyone is interested:
http://tooling-up.blogspot.com/2012/04/glories-of-past-ghost-wedding-birthday.html

Thanks,
-Holly

Image Attachments
IMG_4716-1.jpgIMG_4724.jpgIMG_4722-1.jpg
 Signature 

http://tooling-up.blogspot.com

Posted: 27 April 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

What a great project and a huge effort, your daughters must have been thrilled! Turned out wonderful, even if the ghosts were a little sticky smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 27 April 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

That is just adorable!

Posted: 28 April 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

Super cute! Fabulous theme.  I tried doing a snowman theme for my son and really wanted to use the meringue idea (like yours), but concluded it was too tempermental to do in advance.  So glad to see it worked out for you!  I bet your girls were enthralled!