1 of 2
3rd attempt at a tiered cake
Posted: 01 May 2012 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-04-11

Hi everyone!  I’ve only posted a few times, but I thought I’d share my 3rd tiered cake ever!  I must say I’ve had some problems with Rose’s recipes.. but I think it’s more a personal preference than any problem with the recipes itself.  Many of you had encouraged me to try the chocolate fudge cake and the silk meringue buttercream.  I’m soo glad I did!  This cake is filled with chocolate fudge and layered with silk merginue and the outside is a chocolate mousseline bc.  It’s funny that I really didn’t like the taste, but many people commented on how they liked it!  I guess it really does boil down to your own taste buds.  This was a cake I made for our church anniversary dinner. I also attempted to make yellow flowers on the top with smbc but it was a disaster because it got too soft. smile  I won’t show you the ugliness. hehe

Image Attachments
chocolate fudge cake 2.jpg
 Signature 

Alice

Posted: 01 May 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful cake, Alice!!!!!  Ha ha ha—I know what you mean, too, about the flowers—I’ve scraped a bad decor in my day, as well!!  Your piping is beautiful!!

The combination you made sounds wonderful!  I love the chocolate fudge cake!

Posted: 01 May 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Great cake- congratulations!  I know now how much work goes into a tiered cake, and I applaud your effort smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 01 May 2012 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-07-30

Alice, your cake look and sound DELICIOUS! YUMMY!

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/FantasyCakesByCassy

Posted: 01 May 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

It looks great!  You say the outside is chocolate mousselline.  Is that a pink color or a light beige?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 02 May 2012 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-11

Oh, is the color off? haha.  The picture probably came out funny.  It is a light brown actually.. It looks almost mousse like.  The mousseline is a dream to put on the cake! I could make a cake smooth enough so resorted to fondant.. but this bc.. man, it’s a dream!

Signature 

Alice

Posted: 03 May 2012 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

It is lovely. Congratulations!

Posted: 03 May 2012 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I agree…looks great!  I would never want to cover a cake with fondant (yuk) when mousseline spreads so evenly and beautifully!

Great job

Posted: 05 May 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Nicely done!  I bet it was tasty!  I agree with Bill…unless necessary, I’d rather leave fondant off.  Cakes are so inviting when they look delicious!!

Posted: 07 May 2012 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2011-04-30

I wanted to share my experience with you making 3-tiered wedding cakes using Mousseline buttercream. The first two pictures are one and the same cake with the addition of the topper on the second picture. It was made of almond cake filled with creme brulee custard and fresh raspberries finished with Vanilla Mousseline buttercream. It held very well in the summer for a wedding and even got featured in the Chicago Wedding Magazine and Blog website. The third picture was a Mocha chiffon cake and finished with an Espresso Mousseline Buttercream.

You did a great job with your third attempt and I commend you for not giving up on it. Food and flavors are really subjective. Once you have mastered the basic recipe, you can customize it to suit your taste. I have to say that I use Rose’s TCB, RHC, and Pie and Pastry Bible as the back bone of my cake recipes for my pastry business. To the home baker, I agree with anyone who have used her cookbooks because she offers the most detailed cookbook compared to most especially technical techniques for successful results. Happy baking!

Image Attachments
Navy Blue Wedding Cake.jpgCivil Union Cake Topper 2.jpgCIMG4192.jpg

Posted: 07 May 2012 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, those are amazing- you do beautiful work!  I love the clean, tailored look of the navy trimmed cake and the varying proportions and textures of the white cake, all gorgeous smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 07 May 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful!  I agree—such clean lines!!!  I love the “rings” around the whit ecakes and the small silver pearls between the white ones.  I also love the “boucle” look of the top tier!!!!!  And that’s some SMOOOOOOOOOTH sides on the B&W!!!!

Posted: 08 May 2012 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-11

Ok Jack.. you have GOT to tell me your secret!!! Your cakes are soooooooo smooth!!! How do you do it?  What is your technique???  They are so beautiful!

Signature 

Alice

Posted: 10 May 2012 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thank you for the nice comments. The secret to a smooth finish is the right texture and temperature of the buttercream. A buttercream on the cooler side is more difficult to apply. Too warm and it will just fall off the cake. I frost using standard tools: offset spatulas, a bench scraper, and a flat metal spatula. The straight sides can be achieved with the correct wrist action while maintaining a straight horizontal application of the frosting. Then, scrape the excess with a bench scraper as the cake wheel is turned in a very steady, consistent motion.
Happy Baking and have a good weekend.

Posted: 03 August 2012 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

Slice79 and Jack Alix,
Wow, Your cakes are so beautiful and smooth with Mousseline buttercream. I need to practice more to get that look.

Posted: 04 August 2012 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

I took months working as an apprentice in a pastry shop I worked at when I was in culinary school before I perfected the technique of frosting cakes. I almost quit; but soon after I said I was resigning, the owner was so compassionate to coach me…PATIENTLY. Out of anger, anxiety and frustration, it all fell in place and the rest was history. There are also other ways to frost a cake. Attached was my first attempt in creating a ruffled cake for my nephew’s christening. It is also a less frustrating way sticking to straight lines smile Thank you for your kind commentaries smile Feel free to email me if there is any way I can help. Have a nice weekend.

Image Attachments
Birthday Ruffle Cake-001.jpg

1 of 2