2 of 2
3rd attempt at a tiered cake
Posted: 04 August 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2011-05-15

omg ur cakes are fantabulous!!! So so smooth , reading ur comment makes me think that the reason my cake probably has those lil holes even after its smooth with straight sides might be the air in the buttercream ? Just guessing here ! how do u get it so smooth without any air ????!!! Also your flavours sound delicious ! CREME BRULEE CUSTARD ??!!! omg.

Posted: 04 August 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2011-02-17

Jack, stunning, stunning cakes!!

Posted: 04 August 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2011-04-30

Thank you. The secret to less air bubbles in the buttercream is to keep your buttercream at room temperature and in the warmer side. This way, when you press on the buttercream again the cake, it kindda squeezes out any tiny air pockets trapped in the buttercream. When your buttercream is on the colder side, it is harder to spread it giving it lesser chance for air bubbles to escape. If your bc get too cold, just zap it for a few seconds in the microwave, re-beat it again with a paddle attachment and proceed to finish your cake. Pastry is about fun and imagination. I like thinking out of the box and adapt desserts and flavors not conventionally or traditionally done. Sometimes, you can use lavender honey or rosemary to perfume your custard filling other than the vanilla, chocolate, and mocha flavors.

Happy Baking everyone smile

Posted: 07 October 2012 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-10-12

Thank you, Jack, for sharing your technique.  AMAZING!  I struggle with bubbles and get so frustrated.  I will try your method of using the buttercream at warmer temperatures.

Posted: 10 October 2012 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2011-04-30

Hi, Hue
Just word of caution. Do not make your bc to warm or else it will be too soft and slide off the cake.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Jack

2 of 2