Whole Grain Bread/Struan
Posted: 01 May 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-02-11

Hello!  I am very new to the science/art of baking bread!  I has been a lot of fun and even after a very short time - we are becoming spoiled by homemade bread.  The Bread Bible has become a great “go-to” resource and there are many recipes I’ve marked to try!

I have a couple questions re: whole grain breads…....

I have practicing with Peter Reinhart’s Multi-Grain Extraordinare.  The first time, flavor was good but the loaf was not pretty.  Second time, flavor was better - but the loaf completely fell.  The third try resulted in a very pretty loaf that was dry and crumbly.  Not sure what happened with the first loaf - but I was happy.  I think my problem with #2 was that the second rise got away from me (it was basically over-flowing from the pan when it went into the oven).  I am stumped on what I might have done on #3 (I “MIGHT” - LOL -have put in only 1 tsp yeast instead of the 1TBSP listed - could that be the cause?).  Any suggestions?

I would like to try Rose’s Struan Bread but am not ready to get into Sourdough Starter….  any suggestions on an alternate approach?

Thanks for your help….

JD

Posted: 03 May 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-02-11

Thanks all for the speedy response and sharing your insights - it is very much appreciated!

Julie - I actually already have marked the Walnut Bread and even bought the nuts and walnut oil to give it a try. 

Gene - thanks for the link.  I referred to it last night making another loaf of Reinhart’s bread and this loaf came out much better!  I thought one of my earlier problems might be too much flour but wasn’t sure (I did add flour to get a firmer dough as it seemed a little sticky & soupy - I probably did add too much).  Also, thanks for suggestion to re-form the loaf that was too big - I wasn’t sure what to do with it so I just baked it.  I will give this a try next time.

Charles - thanks for the encouragement to use the recipe as a starting point   Since this is all very new to me - I am trying to follow the recipe since it “should” work (in my mind anyways) and I am learning new things each time I make a loaf.