1 of 2
And the winner is….............
Posted: 02 May 2012 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

.............the Chocolate Bread from TCB

Everyone loved the Domingo cake. I was going to make the Chocolate Fudge cake with mousseline frosting next but I baked the Chocolate Bread instead because I didn’t think my husband could handle another very chocolate cake.  We ended up giving a lot of the Domingo cake away. 

This morning I baked the Chocolate Bread. It, too, was very easy to make.  I soaked it in the simple syrup offered as a variation. I don’t have Kahlua. Any coffee flavor is another taste my husband dislikes. I used 1/8 tsp vanilla instead.

The Chocolate Bread is delicious. It is so tender and moist with a soft chocolate flavor but not over-whelmingly chocolate. My husband really likes it a lot.

I am going to bring this cake for my grandson. It will be easy to carry. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about packing frosting and carrying cake bases in my carryon.  I will also be taking 3 banana cakes (loaves), a 9 x 13 pan of sour cream cake and a tray of Apricot Bars. 

I am so looking forward to the trip home when my carry-on will be empty

Thank you, forum members, for all your invaluable help and advice!

Image Attachments
IMG_5616.jpg

Posted: 02 May 2012 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulatoins, FG!!!! 

Beautiful chocolate brea!

Maybe the chocolate bread will be the gateway to complete chocolate fanaticism for the hub.  You know, start with gentle chococlate flavor, then you need more ... and more .. CHOCOLATE! 

That sounds like one yummy carry on bag!  Do report back on how everyone loves everything upon your return!!

—ak

Posted: 02 May 2012 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

Haha, I knew it! Even people who don’t love chocolate like the Chocolate Bread! I’ve brought it to potlucks and I’ve been asked for the recipe. That is the one recipe I recommend when introducing other bakers to Rose’s work because it is easy and delicious. That is the first recipe I recommended to Anne in NC (if she remembers). It is the first Rose cake I ever made (when still a beginner) and the reason why I now own a copy of TCB! Three years later I love other more chocolate-y cakes from Rose, but the Chocolate Bread is the Mr. Congeniality of Chocolate cakes because everyone likes it! Even your husband!

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Posted: 03 May 2012 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 03 May 2012 01:57 AM

Congratulatoins, FG!!!! 

Beautiful chocolate brea!

Maybe the chocolate bread will be the gateway to complete chocolate fanaticism for the hub.  You know, start with gentle chococlate flavor, then you need more ... and more .. CHOCOLATE! 

That sounds like one yummy carry on bag!  Do report back on how everyone loves everything upon your return!!

—ak

Thanks Anne! The picture did not really show how moist it is. It is almost like a velvet cake. 

Yes! My plan is to subliminally addict my husband to chocolate so that he can’t wait for me to bake him another one. If you remember,  I did that with lemon. I can’t say he is hooked but he now will eat a lemon cake when I make it. At one time he never would.

I will report back ASAP.  Thank you!

Posted: 03 May 2012 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jose Lugo - 03 May 2012 02:46 AM

Haha, I knew it! Even people who don’t love chocolate like the Chocolate Bread! I’ve brought it to potlucks and I’ve been asked for the recipe. That is the one recipe I recommend when introducing other bakers to Rose’s work because it is easy and delicious. That is the first recipe I recommended to Anne in NC (if she remembers). It is the first Rose cake I ever made (when still a beginner) and the reason why I now own a copy of TCB! Three years later I love other more chocolate-y cakes from Rose, but the Chocolate Bread is the Mr. Congeniality of Chocolate cakes because everyone likes it! Even your husband!

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Wow! I didn’t realize that cake was so beloved, probably because I mostly see more sophisticated baking displayed here.  I’m glad to hear how much you and your friends like the cake. I’m glad to be bringing it with me. It is a big relief to take a cake which requires no fussing and is delicious. 

May I ask, when you make this cake, do you soak it?

Posted: 03 May 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

the Chocolate Bread is the Mr. Congeniality of Chocolate cakes

LOL, I never thought of it that way, but you’re right- very moist and not too chocolate-y.  The other cake that’s like that is the deep chocolate chiffon (german choc base) from RHC, it’s a crowd pleaser. smile

Flour Girl, your choco bread looks perfect and with the syrup will keep very well- ideal for traveling!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 03 May 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

That is the first recipe I recommended to Anne in NC (if she remembers).

I do indeed remember!!!

I made it, along with the “regular” pound cake, as a gift for my mechanic, who did me a very good turn.  It was delicous (although I did make it chocolate-y-er by using the same cocoa powder:flour ratio as in a regular chocolate cake).

Posted: 03 May 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 03 May 2012 03:40 PM

the Chocolate Bread is the Mr. Congeniality of Chocolate cakes

LOL, I never thought of it that way, but you’re right- very moist and not too chocolate-y.  The other cake that’s like that is the deep chocolate chiffon (german choc base) from RHC, it’s a crowd pleaser. smile

Flour Girl, your choco bread looks perfect and with the syrup will keep very well- ideal for traveling!

Thank you! That is what I am hoping. I think a loaf will be easiest to transport considering all the other baked goods I am taking.  Thanks for your help cool smile

Posted: 03 May 2012 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20
Flour Girl - 03 May 2012 05:21 AM

I brush it very lightly with a simple syrup (I also dislike the taste of coffee), let it cool, wrap it up with plastic wrap and wait patiently for all the moisture to distribute evenly before serving.

Posted: 03 May 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20
Julie - 03 May 2012 03:40 PM

So true. I love that one too. I’m making another chocolate cake at the end of this month for another potluck (same people). We have a potluck once a month and I always bring dessert. The last few times it hasn’t been chocolate and I already brought the Chocolate bread in the past. Last month I brought a Coconut Cream pie (from Cook’s Illustrated). I’m planning to bring a chocolate cake again and raise the chocolate intensity level a bit. Now I’m undecided between the Domingo cake (as prepared by Flour Girl), or the deep chocolate chiffon (german choc base). I’m torn.

Posted: 03 May 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jose Lugo - 03 May 2012 06:05 PM
Flour Girl - 03 May 2012 05:21 AM

I brush it very lightly with a simple syrup (I also dislike the taste of coffee), let it cool, wrap it up with plastic wrap and wait patiently for all the moisture to distribute evenly before serving.

That sounds like a good idea.  I didn’t know about that. I brushed it with the syrup, top first then bottom and sides.

Posted: 03 May 2012 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you for sharing the feedback.  I now want to bake this Choc bread

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 May 2012 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 03 May 2012 01:39 AM

Any coffee flavor is another taste my husband dislikes.

Don’t forget that one doesn’t add coffee to chocolate in order for it to taste like coffee; rather, it intensifies the chocolate flavor.  As reasonable levels you won’t even taste the coffee.  I always add a teaspoon of espresso powder to pretty much anything chocolate that I make.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 May 2012 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Well, FG, you have me intrigued.  I have yet to make the chocolate bread…sometimes the simplest things are the best.  So glad you liked it. 

My hubby is not a coffee lover either.  He thinks it’s absolute evil—that said, I made a cake with about a cup of coffee once and a coworker who was really sensitive to caffeine (which I realize is also in chocolate to a lesser extent) was totally buzzed!  Now I feel like I need to warn people any time there is coffee in a dessert!

Posted: 04 May 2012 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 04 May 2012 02:04 AM

Thank you for sharing the feedback.  I now want to bake this Choc bread

I’d love to see pictures when you do bake it.

Posted: 04 May 2012 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 04 May 2012 03:19 AM
Flour Girl - 03 May 2012 01:39 AM

Any coffee flavor is another taste my husband dislikes.

Don’t forget that one doesn’t add coffee to chocolate in order for it to taste like coffee; rather, it intensifies the chocolate flavor.  As reasonable levels you won’t even taste the coffee.  I always add a teaspoon of espresso powder to pretty much anything chocolate that I make.

That’s true Charles. I have used expresso powder, when called for, without my husband realizing it. What I meant to say is that we don’t keep Kahula in the house because he doen’t like the flavor. Actually, the only liqueur in the house is the Jamican Rum I use for baking.

1 of 2