Looking for Vanilla Rum Cake like the ones in Miami!
Posted: 03 May 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-05-03

Looking for Vanilla Rum Cake like the ones in Miami!

Is any one familiar with the vanilla rum cakes sold in miami for birthdays and weddings? I have tried the box mix recipe and
the one in Roses book with the syrup but they are not the same. They use a denser cake with the syrup.

Helpppppp.

Hilda

Posted: 03 May 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

In “Maida Heatter’s Cakes”, ISBN: 978-1-4494-0114-6 is a Key West Rum Cake and includes a Rum syrup.  I’ve never tried this cake. I hope this helps you.

Posted: 03 May 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Which of Rose’s cakes did you try?

Is it a pound cake texture, or a fruit cake texture?  Pound cake is very dense, but tender and buttery.  Fruit cake would be less buttery and less tender.  Or is it a yeast-based cake?

Perhaps try Rose’s classic pound cake recipe, syruped with rum instead of lemon.  The baby bundt size is in the front of TCB, while the full-size bundt is in the wedding cake section at the back. 

If you have RHC, use the recipe for the mini poundcakes syruped with Navan- sub dark rum for the Navan.  It’s the same cake recipe as in TCB, but has a liquor-based syrup all ready to go.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 04 May 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

I’m not familiar with the cake .. but Joanne Chang has one in her book called Boozy Rum Cake…never made it, but its got rum cream, syrup, and whipped cream—so lots of rum!