1 of 2
Egg Free Cake Recipes
Posted: 07 May 2012 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2011-04-30

I wanted to know if someone can share a basic chocolate and vanilla egg-free recipe or any references for that matter? I had endless research on the subject and tried a couple seemingly reliable recipes that made flavorful sense to me. Aware of weaker cake structure and baking size limitation compared to recipes using eggs, I found a recipe that taste good; but the cake layers are thin layers. This meant quick pan rotations to arrive at a decent cake height unless I buy more 8” cake pans. I end up having a cake with about 7-8 layers of 1/4” thick cakes. Then I filled and frosted the cake with chocolate ganache. My friend is not strictly vegan; so I assumed that someone is just allergic to eggs and egg products. Thanks.

Posted: 07 May 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Here is a chocolate cake recipe. The original recipe contains eggs but it goes on explain how to replace the eggs in this recipe.

http://www.godairyfree.org/Recipes/Dairy-Free-Desserts/Mom-s-Dairy-Free-Chocolate-Coffee-Cake.html

Posted: 09 May 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Google “wowie cake” for an excellent eggless chocolate cake recipe.  It bakes to a height of about 1.5 inches, and easily doubles; use Hershey’s cocoa for best results (it doesn’t work with the more expensive cocoas).  For a non-chocolate version, I’ve subbed out almond flour for the cocoa and it works - a little more dense because the almond flour adds more structure but still good.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 10 May 2012 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2011-04-30

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will definitely give it a try.
Have a nice weekend.

Posted: 07 April 2013 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 10 May 2012 01:27 AM

Google “wowie cake” for an excellent eggless chocolate cake recipe.  It bakes to a height of about 1.5 inches, and easily doubles; use Hershey’s cocoa for best results (it doesn’t work with the more expensive cocoas).  For a non-chocolate version, I’ve subbed out almond flour for the cocoa and it works - a little more dense because the almond flour adds more structure but still good.

Jeanne, how much almond flour do you use?  My wowie cake calls for 20g (3/4 oz) of cocoa.

I’ve come to bake this cake frequently. It’s good and it’s fast and needs no prior prep.

I think almond would be a nice change.

Thank you!

Posted: 07 April 2013 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

I sub out equal amounts of almond flour for the cocoa.  The Bob’s Red Mill is good; expensive but readily available.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 07 April 2013 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 07 April 2013 06:45 PM

I sub out equal amounts of almond flour for the cocoa.  The Bob’s Red Mill is good; expensive but readily available.

Thank you Jeanne.

I have that brand of Almond flour.

I’m going to try making this cake today. I’m thinking of glazing it with the rum glaze used in Thomas Keller’s Rum Cake (Bouchon Bakery).

Thank you for your help smile

Posted: 07 April 2013 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

That sounds great!  I love the idea of the almond cake with the rum glaze, let me know how it works out….

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2013 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I will!! Thank you!!

Posted: 08 April 2013 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16
Flour Girl - 07 April 2013 06:55 PM

Thomas Keller’s Rum Cake (Bouchon Bakery).

By chance, have you baked this cake?  I’m curious as to how it turned out, it is on my to-bake list smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 08 April 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 08 April 2013 01:03 PM
Flour Girl - 07 April 2013 06:55 PM

Thomas Keller’s Rum Cake (Bouchon Bakery).

By chance, have you baked this cake?  I’m curious as to how it turned out, it is on my to-bake list smile

I baked it yesterday. I haven’t cut it yet. It looks GREAT!! We went to a party last night but will be having the cake later.  I’ll let you know how it tastes

I use the King Arthur Flour version of this recipe. They offer variations in which you can substitute rum for a portion of the liquid.  I followed the original recipe with the exception of substituting almond flour for the cocoa and omitting the espresso powder.

Here is the recipe. I don’t make this recipe in the pan. I use a bowl and sift the dry ingredients. We love this cake I have torted it and it stays moist until the last crumb.

1 1/2 cups (6 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) vinegar
1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) vegetable oil
1 cup (8 ounces) cold water (original recipe), coffee (next inspiration), milk (later inspiration), or 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup rum (latest inspiration)

Preheat your oven to 350?F.

Measure all the dry ingredients into an 8” or 9” round or square cake pan; if you use an 8” pan, make sure it’s at least 2” deep. Blend the ingredients together thoroughly with a fork or whisk and scoop out three holes, or indentations.

Pour the vanilla into the first hole, the vinegar into the second, and the vegetable oil into the third.

Take the cup of cold liquid (water, coffee, milk, etc.) and pour it directly over everything in the pan. Note: If you’ve used espresso powder, adding coffee will make this a mocha cake. Stir all the ingredients together with your fork until they are well blended.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Serve right from the pan; warm from the oven, this Cake-Pan Cake is wonderful with a big glass of milk (skim, of course!) Once cool, frost with this simple chocolate frosting, if desired: Heat 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips with 1/2 cup half & half until the chips melt. Stir until smooth, and pour/spread over the cake. Yield: 12 to 16 servings.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/09/29/still-the-one-cake-pan-cake-takes-the-cake//

Posted: 08 April 2013 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, FG smile

Please let me know how you liked the Bouchon Rum cake, I thought it was interesting because it used almond flour and had no vanilla.

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2013 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 08 April 2013 09:04 PM

Thanks, FG smile

Please let me know how you liked the Bouchon Rum cake, I thought it was interesting because it used almond flour and had no vanilla.

Hi Julie,

I never tasted the Bouchon Rum Cake. I made it a few times. My husband loved it. I brought it to Thanksgiving dinner at my MIL. My sister-in-law asked me for the recipe.
That cake uses a dozen eggs and more than a pound of butter so I would not eat that cake.  However, it was a masterpiece and everyone who had a piece loved it. The crumb was perfect and the batter filled the bundt pan to make an extraordinary presentation in my humble opinion.

The glaze is great. It is thick and sweet and can be used in many other recipes.

I don’t think it suffered from not having vanilla because rum was in everything: the batter, the soaking syrup and the glaze.

Below is a picture of the Bouchon cake last Thanksgiving smile

Image Attachments
IMG_5694.jpg

Posted: 08 April 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 07 April 2013 07:17 PM

That sounds great!  I love the idea of the almond cake with the rum glaze, let me know how it works out….

Hi Jeanne,

It is FABULOUS!! I love it even more than the cocoa version.  It is delicious. I will be making this a lot!

The rum glaze is perfect on it.

The King Arthur version of this recipe allows for using rum to replace some of the water.  I didn’t do that this time but it I may in the future.

Thank you for your help!!

Image Attachments
photo.jpgphoto-2.jpg

Posted: 09 April 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Flour Girl, thanks for reporting your results with both of those cakes, they look great!  smile

Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Anytime, Julie. After having a piece I have to say that glaze is super sweet. Maybe it would be better to drizzle the glaze instead of covering the entire top.

1 of 2