lemon cake fail!!!
Posted: 10 May 2012 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-05-10

in the past i have made a lemon cake from another source only to have it bubble and ooze out of the pan and never set, i today tried to make roses lemon cake from the heavely cakes book and i followed the directions to the t. why is this happening? i need this resolved asap i am making it for my daughters bday saturday.

Posted: 10 May 2012 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-10

I am making woodys luxury lemon cake. Totally sure about measurements. I filled the pans only a third full because I’m making a tiered cake this will be the second tier which is a 6x2 round. I know you decrease levening for larger cakes so I didn’t for this cake because it is smaller. However, when I have made it the correct size it still happens. Maybe the zest affects the leavening?

Posted: 10 May 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-10

I’m perplexed as well. Ill give it another whirl tonight. I don’t weigh the small quantity stuff. Hmmmm maybe if I fill a quarter full, like the german chocolate cake recipe calls. Ill let everyone how it turns out.

Posted: 10 May 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-10

More specifically the cake oozed and flowed out of the pan like a science experiment. It stayed liquid and never set. I used baking Powder like it called for. I’ve made the luxury.golden cake before with no problems. And I have an oven thermometer in my oven to watch temperature.I’m going to try again and see what happens.

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-10

I am using the golden butter cake recipe and adding lemon zest.. The measurements for baking powder are slightly different. One calls for 1 tbsp plus 1.5 tsp, they other calls for 4.5 tsp in the luxury lemon cake

Posted: 11 May 2012 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-10

Yeah I figured out after I did the measuring. Well everyone the cake still exploded ugh…

Posted: 11 May 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-10

I live in southern ca. I’m using cake flour non self rising. Oh well I have to just use a vanilla cake I guess with lemon butter cream and curd don’t have time to keep trying it out. But I will conquer this one day like I did pound cakes.

Posted: 11 May 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-10

I live in southern ca. Cake flour not self rising. I’m just using a vanilla recipe and using lemon butter cream and curd for now since the party os tomorrow