How to make bread healthier
Posted: 10 May 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-10-01

While I’m no expert in bread making, I enjoy making it for my kids. I have Rose’s book and have had good success with it (I usually do the basic white sandwich loaf, banana feather loaf, sweet potato loaf, or cinnamon raisin swirl loaf). But I’d like to see if anyone has a recommendation for making the bread healthier. The biggest constraint we have, unfortunately, is money. I would so love a wheat mill, but can’t get one, so any whole wheat flour I have to buy already ground. I can reasonably easily do half whole wheat, half bread (or ap) flour, and I’m sure that will help. But I’d love any tips on anything else I can do or add (that isn’t terribly expensive) to make the bread healthier. Some of my kids are very picky eaters, but they all like bread, so I’d like to do what I can to get anything healthy I can in them. Recommendations?

Posted: 31 May 2012 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-05-31

When my grandmother used to bake bread, her secret ingredient was hay from our horse stable.  She swore that hay with a hint (she stressed a HINT) of horse droppings mixed with the dough, made the texture of the bread more hearty, and was healthier.  Has anyone else here tried this?  I should also add - to be truthful - that my Grandmother was treated for depression and alcoholism 1946, eventually leading to her suicide in 1950.  Also, I have been looking for a good recipe for homemade granola if anyone out there has one that they like.  Thanks!

Posted: 02 April 2013 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-04-02

I’m wondering if you want to limit to just Rose’s recipes, or if you’re willing to branch out.  This is the recipe I use every time for 100% whole wheat flour bread.  It’s delicious and very flavorful, unlike some bread you will get with whole wheat flour, especially what you buy in the grocery store which tends to be dry and tasteless.  Here’s the recipe:

3/4 C honey
3/4 C oil (you can use vegetable oil for this, I use half coconut oil and half butter for health purposes)
4 t salt
2 1/2 C hot water
2 1/2 C warm water
3 T yeast
15 C flour

Mix honey, oil, salt, and hot water.  Add warm water, yeast, and 7 C flour and mix; let sit 10 minutes.  Add 8 C flour; knead 10 min.  Shape into 6 loaves.  Let rise in oiled pans 35 min.  Bake at 350 F 22 min.

You and your kids will love this!

Posted: 24 June 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-04-02

Sorry I’ve taken so long to reply, I haven’t been very active on this forum.

Yes, the recipe can certainly be halved, or cut into thirds.  I do it all the time when I bake for the family.

Posted: 29 December 2013 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-12-29

I used to use honey too (actually tried the ginger honey and the cinnamon honey) but stopped recently, have you tried using pumkin seeds (or any other seeds).

The honey oat one is great too: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/healthy_homemade_bread_recipes?slide=1#leaderboardad

Posted: 30 December 2013 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-12-30

Thanks for nice post share here.