Raspberry Chiffon Pie
Posted: 13 May 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

This is my favourite recipe from PPB made with my favourite fruit. I?ve had difficulties with it each time I?ve made it but I still love it?it?s all about the flavour.

The first time I made it, I used the flaky yogurt pie crust and I used agar agar instead of gelatin in the filling so my vegetarian daughter could have some. Unfortunately, the product I had was mixed with sugar and I didn?t use enough so it didn?t set properly.

This time, I had pure agar agar (thanks again Anne) so it set beautifully and I made the recommended sweet nut cookie crust with almonds. Loved the combination of the sweet crust and filling with the fresh berries but will make it in a tart pan next time as the cookie crust was so tender, the angled back of each slice couldn?t support the weight of the filling without the pie plate for support so every piece broke during plating! I rearranged the fresh berries on each serving and no one noticed wink

Image Attachments
raspberrychiffonpie.jpg

Posted: 14 May 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks lovely and I’ll be it tasted wonderful!  I’ve been wanting to try that recipe ever since I saw it uses something like 4 cups of berries- heaven!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 14 May 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Verrrrry beautiful!  It looks so good!  It is such a gorgeous color, too!!!  (I haven’t even used my agar agar yet!)

Posted: 15 May 2012 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, Anne and Julie.

It’s a delicious pie that will taste even better when local berries are available in July. I plan to perfect it then smile

Posted: 15 May 2012 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

That looks great! I never knew that recipe eexisted;  the P&PB; has so many recipes, I must have overlooked it. Thank you for posting this Sophia. It is going on my “to bake” list.

Posted: 16 May 2012 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, Flour Girl. If you like raspberries, you’ll enjoy this pie.

Posted: 16 May 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

We love raspberries. I recently asked my husband to start planting them. My husband loves pie. Sounds like a plan smile

Posted: 17 May 2012 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Looks incredible!  I can only imagine how good it was!

Posted: 17 May 2012 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thanks Sherrie, it tasted incredible!

Posted: 18 May 2012 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Sophia, by any chance, is this pie simply a cloud cream mixed with berries?  I’m wondering if that would work, conceptually, or if there is more to it.

Posted: 19 May 2012 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Anne, the filling is a concentrated raspberry cloud cream (only 1/2 cup whipped cream, less than what’s usually in a cloud cream, & Rose’s raspberry sauce) with Italian meringue folded in, and stabilizer, of course. The fresh fruit is just garnish on the top.

Though Rose says that the pie is okay to store in the fridge for 3 days, I noticed that my filling started to water out after ~24 hours. This may have been the result of using agar agar instead of gelatin but this alone would caution me against adding fresh fruit to it. I’ve also noticed that in the other PPB fruit chiffon pie recipes, Rose uses fruit puree/syrups/curd to flavour the filling and the fruit as garnish only.

Having said that, I think you could add fresh fruit to a stabilized cloud cream to use as a pie filling provided it’s served within a few hours of assembly (though why bother with the pie crust - I could have done without the crust the 2 times I’ve made this pie and eaten the filling and fruit on its own as a spoon dessert smile !)