Recent Projects- Cherry, Pear and Rhubarb Pies, plus RHC Coffee Chiffon with Dulce de Leche Cream
Posted: 15 May 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Catching up on recent projects- three pies while my father was visiting: the pear galette, a cherry pie (with leaves a bit too large… ooops) and I finally got around to trying the rhubarb custard cream pie.

The pear galette was wonderful and like the apple galette, pretty fast and easy for a scratch pie.  The only note I have is to be more careful next time with my selection of fruit and the thickness of my slices, as my fruit was only barely soft enough to eat with 10” of additional baking time.  It probably could have used even a little bit more time, but the edges were getting dark even with a foil ring to protect them.  I served it with Amaretto whipped cream, a divine combination.

The cherry pie used the last of my frozen sour cherries from last year- it was so good!  Made the leaves a bit too large and the glaze was thick from being frozen, so that the brush marks from my pastry brush held their shape!  That was a first.  This pie was blind baked and the fruit gently cooked stovetop in a large saucepan that would fit all the cherries in one layer.

The rhubarb custard- I used leftover dough for the crust and didn’t quite have enough, so my sides were a tad short.  And because the dough had been re-rolled from scraps, it was worked a little more than is ideal and there was a little more shrinking to make the pie even smaller.  Not a big deal, except that not all of my fruit would fit, and I only had room for about half or maybe 2/3 of the custard.  Probably would have looked very different with more custard.  The custard was not perfectly smooth, but in such a thin amount it wasn’t particularly noticeable and didn’t bother me in such a rustic pie.  I liked the custard cream, but I think the strawberry-rhubarb was still my favorite, while my husband liked the rhubarb-cherry (he said it was even better than the all-cherry pie!) and my daughter preferred the all-cherry to any of the other pies.

Image Attachments
cherry pie 2.jpgPear Galette.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 15 May 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s the rhubarb custard, which wouldn’t fit in the first post.

Image Attachments
rhubarb custard pie.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 15 May 2012 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

And finally broke my run of pies with the RHC coffee chiffon with dulce de leche whipped cream.  I increased the cake by 1/3 to make the same quantity as the 9” layer recipe, and the whipped cream I made four cups of and had a little left over (but not for long…).

This was lovely- the dulce de leche whipped cream is very smooth, just sweet enough and a beautiful color.  The dulce de leche stabilizes it about as well as cornstarch stablilized whipped cream.  My only notes for the dulce de leche are next time to take it even darker, as it was pretty sweet and I like caramel on the dark side.

I liked the coffee chiffon as well, though the lemon remains my favorite.  For a coffee/creamy/sponge cake dessert, the tiramisu is still my top pick!

The best bites of this were the ones that had chocolate curls as well as the cake and cream, which makes me think that sometime it would be nice to try this with the chocolate chiffon base, adding in the coffee flavorings from this cake to get a mocha/dulce de leche concoction. smile  Made the curls by warming a block of chocolate in my proofer and then using a potato peeler- fast and very easy garnish.

Image Attachments
coffee chiffon.jpgcofffee chiffon slice.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 15 May 2012 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

All your pies look wonderful Julie but I think your cake is SUPERB! grin

Posted: 15 May 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Well, Julie, that’s some seriously beautiful baking.

First, let me say that your rhubarb pie looks like pizza—you could have served it as a main course, with the other desserts for dessert???  Heh heh!!!!  That’s my kind of a meal!

I LOVE the big leaves on teh cherry pie.  I think they are just so pretty—makes you want to pick one off and take a snap at it.  Your pear pie is also lovely—you got it at teh perfect color moment, if not the perfect doneness moment!!!

And that cake is amazingly beautiful!!!  Thanks for the notes on the DDL whipped cream—I’ll bet you could make it coffee-DDL whipped cream on chocolate base.  It seems to me that coffee doesn’t come through that distinctly in cake and it helps to get it into the topping, as well!  The cake is so beautiful—there’s something so luxe about whipped cream fluff pods!

You sure done your dad proud and he will, no doubt, soon be bragging heavily to all his coworkers about all this yummy dessert!!!

—ak

Posted: 15 May 2012 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Yum, yum, and more yum, Julie.  I can’t decide which of those I want to eat first….they look incredible! 

I agree with Anne, the leave on the cherry pie are perfect as is!  The DDL cake is making me swoon, too.  Fabulous, fabulous baking, Julie!

Posted: 15 May 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

Everything looks fabulous! That cake is amazing and the pies look irresistible.  It’s good to be your own critic but through my eyes I see only perfection.

Posted: 16 May 2012 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  327
Joined  2011-10-15

Julie, your baking is as beautiful as always!

Posted: 16 May 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeannette- thanks so much! I love cakes, too, but my family prefers pies and if I make cakes they leave too much of it for me to eat. smile  Wish I could share some fluffy chiffon cream cake with you!

Anne, I like your thinking, pie for main course AND pie for dessert!  The coffee flavor in this cake actually does come through nicely, due to the syrup.  If one needed to omit the syrup then I think it would be less richly-flavored.  And great minds must indeed think alike, I actually did add a pinch of instant espresso granules to the whipped cream, not enough to taste, but I was hoping to offset the sweetness of the dulce de leche.  As it turned out, it was wonderful and not too sweet for me.  “Fluff pods”, LOL, I love them too!

Sherrie, Flour Girl and Sophia, thank you so much for all the kind words! smile

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-11-23

Hi All,

I am very impressed. I esp. loved the larger petals on the cherry pie, too.

The pear galette is beautiful, as is the coffee chiffon.

Very nice!

It looks like a lot fun to me.  Oh, what the future could hold with ideas like these.

Posted: 17 May 2012 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1215
Joined  2009-11-24

Everything is beautiful, Julie.  The cake the cherry pie look really tempting.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 17 May 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

lyny and CRenee, thank you very much!

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank