Wedding Cake Newbie - Neoclassic vs. Mousseline Buttercream?
Posted: 16 May 2012 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-05-16

Firstly, thanks in advance for everyone’s help!

I’m about to embark on my first wedding cake and I’m trying to decide which buttercream to use to frost the entire cake?

I’ve made both the Neoclassic and Mousseline buttercreams from TCB and have a slight preference for the neoclassic.  However this cake will be served outdoors in New York on Memorial Day weekend (so could be hot and somewhat humid…or could be perfect spring weather).

Does the outdoor context mean I should lean in favor of one buttercream vs the other?  The cake will be able to stay in an air conditioned space prior to serving (so it will not be outdoors the entire wedding).

Thanks!

Posted: 16 May 2012 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Henrib!!!

What flavor will the buttercream be?  That can affect which is the best choice.  Mousseline is fabulous for fruit flavors, neoclassic for richer things like nuts/nut butters. 

That said, White Chocolate Mousseline is pure magic!

While, weather-wise, you are safe with either frosting, since it will be in an air-conditioned space prior to serving, if there is any question at all about that space becoming problematic or going poof, mousseline is the msot stable of all in warm weather.

Can’t wit to see the pics!!!!

—ak

Posted: 16 May 2012 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what Anne said, mousseline is the most stable of Rose’s all-butter buttercreams, it will be more heat resistant than the neoclassic.  You could use neoclassic to fill the cake and mousseline on the outside smile

Good luck- hope you post pics!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 17 May 2012 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Yes and Yes!!! I was going to recommend White Chocolate Mouselline AND Neoclassic for the filling (great use of whites/yolks!).  Sounds delicious!

Posted: 17 May 2012 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-16

Thanks so much for the tips!!
I was planning on flavoring the buttercream simply with vanilla and liquor.  Would that affect any of your suggestions?

Posted: 17 May 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Vanilla and liquor will work with either, just be mindful not to put too much liquor into the neoclassic- it can’t take as much as the mousseline.

If you haven’t tried white chocolate mousseline yet, you should- more yummy than vanilla, and I don’t even like white chocolate that much. smile

good luck, hope you’ll post some pics!

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-16

Thanks!  Last question (I hope)...

I am planning on frosting and assembling the cake next Saturday for the wedding which is the following day.
I am planning on making the buttercream tomorrow (Fri) or Sat.  Do you think I should freeze it or keep it in the fridge? 
If freezing it is the best route…I’ve never done that before, so are there any special tips?

Thanks!

Posted: 17 May 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

The books have keeping tips.  I’m thinking it will easily keep in the fridge.  However, if you freeze it, and you want to use it on Saturday at 12:00 PM (noon), take it out of the freezer on Thursday and put it in the fridge.  On Friday night, take it out of the fridge and put it on the counter—give it a good 8 hours to come to room temp.  It depends on the size of your container, of course, but think how long butter takes to come to a super-spreadable consistency, and that’s where you are. 

Whip it a brief moment before using, but it must ALL be at room temp, or it could curdle.  No cheating!!!!!  Do not tempt fate!

If you forget to take it out such that it’s cold when you want to use it, some folks to short bursts in the microwave to bring it to room temp.  You can also dice it up—like you would butter—so it comes to room temp faster.

Posted: 17 May 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, it should be fine in either fridge or freezer- there may some very small increased evaporation of the liquor in the bc in the fridge vs. the freezer, and that can be either good or bad depending on your viewpoint smile.

Storing it in several smaller containers will help it come up to temperature more quickly.  Be careful, though that the containers don’t have any retained flavors/smells as those will transfer to the bc. 

I’ve never been brave enough to use the microwave, but I will sometimes set a container of bc in a bowl of lukewarm water to help move it along quickly.

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I made my first wedding cake last year and I used the white chocolate mousseline buttercream.  It was extremely stable and so so yummy.  I made the buttercream in advance ( a couple of months ) and stored it in the freezer in ziplock freezer bags which I flattened out so I could lay one bag on top of the other to save space.  I placed it in the fridge a couple days before I needed it and the night before I broke the buttercream into chunks ( since it was quite hard ) and put it in a 12 x 18 cake pan.  It was perfect the next day.  I think the larger surface area allowed it to come to room temperature quicker than if it was in a container.  I just whipped it lightly by hand just before I used it.  It has a beautiful consistency and pipes really well.  I hope you give the white chocolate mousseline a try.