could anyone suggest a basic buttercream recipe which is not very sweet ??
Posted: 16 May 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-26

heyy….could neone give me a good recipe for a buttercream which i can use as a basic one for my cake business

Posted: 16 May 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Salmat!

None of Rose’s are very sweet—neoclassic, mousseline, swiss meringue—but they all require flavor or people think they just taste like butter.  However, they take flavors, liquor, fruit curds, nut butters, extracts, oils, etc., beautifully and are amazingly delicious!

Ganaches are also, of course, wonderful for chocoalte, and you can adjust the sweetness there rather easily based upon the chocolate you choose.

—ak

Posted: 16 May 2012 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-26

heyy thanks alot, i love the mousseline ,could i use extract for flavouring , im starting my home cake business in june/july so ive short listed alot of roses recipes for that which are awesome the only thing i want is a great basic buttercream recipe which doesnt like taste horrible like the wilton one or like butter but i dono how to ask and all of roses need flavoring as you said, so could you suggest some nice recipe. thanks

Posted: 16 May 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Rose’s are the best—you just want to flavor them with something (i.e., vanilla, for example).  If you loe the mousseline (I do, too) you can use extract, for sure.  I belive the recipes give suggestions for flavoring—vanilla, alcohol, fruit curds and purees—as long as there is something to flavor it, they don’t taste like plain butter, so can count on any of her variations being delicous!

All buttercreams need flavoring—not just Rose’s.  They all call for vanilla or something.  I only mentioned it at all becuase some people complain about the flavor before they add vanilla (or whatever), so I was just letting you know, but since you’ve had the mousseline, you know how wonderful it is!

Posted: 17 May 2012 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

I really like her White Chocolate Mouselline…by far my favourite “white” icing.  I found the vanilla version too buttery on it’s own so the chocolate really cuts the butteriness).  One word of caution—remove a small amount of completed frosting and add some melted white chocolate to it, then add that to the batch of buttercream.  (I’ve had the chocolate solidify before incorporating…this is an assurance that doesn’t happen).  I also really like her Silk Meringue Buttercreams—more time consuming because of custard preparation, but truthfully are absolute heaven!

Posted: 17 May 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

White Chocolate Mouselline!!!