Baking ovens recommendations
Posted: 29 May 2012 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-04-10

We are renovating our kitchen completely, with new cabinets, appliances, etc. I am so excited, but so very confused! I want either a gas range or duel fuel, and a wall oven for baking. Or, a gas cooktop and double wall ovens. I would love to hear what appliances have been successful for serious bakers. I’m especially interested in an excellent oven for baking cakes that will maintain a constant temperature throughout the entire oven.  Any suggestions? Thx.

Posted: 30 May 2012 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

I intend to get a magnetic induction cook top, which offers all the advantages of gas and electric combined.

The oven is better in the electric versions.  Consumer Reports gives the Electrolux top marks for baking, but a lot of the exotic brands get only mediocre ratings.  The performance seems to vary quite a bit from model to model.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 May 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

i thought a gas cooktop was the ultimate and i had and work with one, but i must say that induction is better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  however expensive.  be aware that a gas range requires a vented range hood, else your home will feel and smell like burned gas.  gas needs a range hood that vents the air out.

a ceramic smooth top, electric is fine, and in addition you can get a portable induction plate.  split cooktops are also a dream:  two burners electric, two induction, and one gas/wok or grill

as for ovens, what i like of self standing ranges, is that you can get a descent 36 inch wide or 42, specially useful if you are baking a lot for a large party, or a full baking sheet.  for wall ovens, i would get the smallest as possible, because that means it is more even heat and will heat faster.  i detest very large or wide wall ovens.  i would get convection in all my ovens if possible.  it is great for heating and for keeping temps more even (if you bake delicate items that don’t like air circulating, i turn the convection fan on and off).

you should consider countertop ovens too, there are a few out there that outperform wall or range ovens!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 31 May 2012 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-04-10

Thanks Charles and Hester. You both recommended induction cooktops. I am off to investigate! Thanks so very much.