1 of 2
Menu For Family Dinner!
Posted: 01 June 2012 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-06-01

Hey Guys! My grandparents will be visiting our home for the weekend and I was asked to cook. What do you think are the best food to serve? We haven’t seen them for nearly a year and I simply want to serve the best (according to my abililty grin ). Suggestions are greatly appreciated…

Signature 

When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.  ~Laiko Bahrs

Started to love Grass Fed.

Posted: 01 June 2012 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I can’t say what would be “the best” without more information…but.. when I am cooking for lots of people I usually try to do things in advance.  ie:  a dessert that can be refrigerated or pulled from the freezer.  I also try and do as much prep in advance as possible (salads, etc.).  How many people will you be cooking for?  Do they have preferences?  What do you usually cook?  All of these things should be considered.  Will it be formal/casual?

Posted: 01 June 2012 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

You know good your grandparents. Think about what type of food they like to eat and maybe making something like that but with some modifications and inovations smile

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 01 June 2012 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-01
Sherrie - 01 June 2012 02:50 PM

I can’t say what would be “the best” without more information…but.. when I am cooking for lots of people I usually try to do things in advance.  ie:  a dessert that can be refrigerated or pulled from the freezer.  I also try and do as much prep in advance as possible (salads, etc.).  How many people will you be cooking for?  Do they have preferences?  What do you usually cook?  All of these things should be considered.  Will it be formal/casual?

Thanks Sherrie. It’s just casual. I think we will be nearly 15 if my aunts would come (there might be unexpected visitors too). My sister was to take care of the dessert so I don’t have problem with that anymore. But I’ll suggest that to her.

Signature 

When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.  ~Laiko Bahrs

Posted: 01 June 2012 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-01
cookie monster - 01 June 2012 03:56 PM

You know good your grandparents. Think about what type of food they like to eat and maybe making something like that but with some modifications and inovations smile

My mom suggested that I should cook steak or roast because its my grandpa’s favorite. Now. I am confused whether I’ should go for steak or roast. I am considering the budget too.

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2012 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-06-02

Good to hear you’ll be having a family gathering Alicia. That would be a lot of fun! But since you’re grandparents will be there too, try to consider their health as well. You know, they’re too old for more fatty foods and things like that. I’m sorry for saying that but it’s true. But there’s no reason for you as well to not go with the steak since it’s your grandpa’s favorite. Try to find your preferences here http://www.naturallygrassfed.com/ . I find their meat product healthier and less fats and calories as well (well, base on my own cooking experience). I hope this help and Good luck! Have a fun weekend with your family!

Posted: 02 June 2012 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-01
DianeSmith - 02 June 2012 06:55 AM

Good to hear you’ll be having a family gathering Alicia. That would be a lot of fun! But since you’re grandparents will be there too, try to consider their health as well. You know, they’re too old for more fatty foods and things like that. I’m sorry for saying that but it’s true. But there’s no reason for you as well to not go with the steak since it’s your grandpa’s favorite. Try to find your preferences here http://www.naturallygrassfed.com/ . I find their meat product healthier and less fats and calories as well (well, base on my own cooking experience). I hope this help and Good luck! Have a fun weekend with your family!

Thank you Dianne for the recommendation. The website is simply great! There are good recipes I can cook too. But I still am confused if I’ll go for a roast or steak, both just seems to be so good.

These cuts are not that expensive. What do you guys suggest between the two?
http://www.naturallygrassfed.com/shop/beef/flank/flank-steaks.html
http://www.naturallygrassfed.com/shop/shoulder-london-broil.html

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

The one benefit of steak is that you can customize the donness for individual preference.  I’ve also found thicker steaks to be more tender…I have had some really really good top sirloin steaks lately.

Posted: 02 June 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Steaks on the BBQ is always great and adds fun to the dinner, IMO.

If you need recipes, check out Bobby Flay.

On the other hand, a roast will allow you time out of the kitchen to mingle with your grandparents and “can” be more economical.

For roasts, I suggest you check out Molly Stevens two great books:

All About Braising

All About Roasting

Posted: 03 June 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-23

So Alicia, how was cooking, are guests satisfied? What you choose to cook?

Signature 

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 04 June 2012 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-01

Good day guys!

Thanks a lot for the help here. I got a wonderful time with my g’parents! I cooked London Broil, Fettucine Alfredo, and fresh Garden Salad.Though the dessert’s and snacks are of my sister and Mom, I’m glad they were not disappointed…Online recipes can be really helpful! LOL

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2012 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-23

Very nice choice! Pasta allows so much experimenting.
Im glad that everything went ok smile

Signature 

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 06 June 2012 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-01
cookie monster - 05 June 2012 11:21 AM

Very nice choice! Pasta allows so much experimenting.
Im glad that everything went ok smile

Thank you!

Signature 

Posted: 06 June 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-23

You ‘re welcome!
Im thinking to make some pasta ravioli filled with cheese and cream, wish me luck! :D

Signature 

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 07 June 2012 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-01

Yum! How I wish I can cook right now. I crave for cheese…

Signature 

Posted: 08 June 2012 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-23

I cant cook every time i want because of lack of time. And cooking is just my hobby and im still learning smile

Signature 

Franchise Takeaway

1 of 2