I make this cake this week for a friend’s 50th birthday. The cake is a Biscuit de Savoie, the frosting is a honey cream cheese frosting, and the top of a pool of peach puree.
This cake is pretty much a remake of the last honey/peach cake I made (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/forums/viewthread/3759/). I used the Biscuit de Savoie recipe from The Cake Bible. That recipe is for 3 9-inch pans, but I only have 2 9-inch pans, so I instead used strips of tin foil to make high walls and then split the batter between the two pans. I learned a really cool tip that I’m excited to share! You know how after the cake is baked and you need to remove it from the pan, typically you have to turn the cake out on to something, and then reinvert the cake so it’s right side up again? When baking this cake with the tin foil walls, the cake climbed up the walls and then stuck to them. So I was actually able to just grab the sides of the tin foil like handles and lift the cake out of the pan! And since I was able to lift the cake like that, I could also just lift a corner and read underneath to pull off the parchment paper, without needing to ever place the cake upside down on a surface.
The syrup for the cake was the syrup from canned peaches. I got that idea from one of Hector’s posts. I first tried using the syrup from the can, but it was so thick that it didn’t really absorb into the cake. It just kind of sat there on top, half absorbed in and half pooling on top. For the rest of the layers, I diluted the canned peach syrup with some water. That worked better.
For the honey cream cheese frosting, I used Anne in NC’s advice of trying raw honey. It worked out great, with one caveat. Anne suggested to heat the syrup gently to melt it, but when I did that, the slight heat from the honey ended up melting my cream cheese & butter a bit once I added it in. I got better results making my 2nd batch by just adding the room temperature raw honey to the cream cheese/butter mixture directly. My raw honey is not completely solid at room temperature but just very very gloppy, so it worked out well.
The puree on top was a little stressful. I knew that I had to harden the puree somehow, otherwise it would just pour out when I cut the cake. Or at least, that was what I was thinking would happen. So I decided to add gelatin to it. I wanted to make the topping soft, but not too rubbery. I had 2 cups of peach puree and I needed to know how much gelatin was needed. I googled forever to try to find out how much was needed. I searched “gelatin puree cake” and “gelatin mango mousse” and over and over. All the recipes I found either didn’t specify an amount (“Oh, just add ‘some’ gelatin”) or specified using some weird measurement (“puree 2 baskets of raspberries and add 1 tsp of gelatin”). I finally got desperate and just googled “how much gelatin is needed” and up came David Lebovitz’s article “How To Use Gelatin”. In it, he says “1 envelope of gelatin will firmly set 2 cups of liquid, enough to unmold a dessert. 1 envelope of gelatin will softly set 3 cups of liquid. You will not be able to unmold this type of dessert.” Exactly what I needed! I added 1 envelope to my 2 cups of puree.
After all that, assembly was relatively straight-forward. Syruped the layers, put on the frosting, piped a frosting wall on the top to contain the puree, and then poured in the puree. It set up overnight, and then I served it the next day. The birthday guy said it was the best birthday cake he ever had and licked his plate clean.