Converting Baker’s Yeast for Rye Bread
Posted: 03 June 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-07-09

Good Morning Baker’s,

I am back, only this time wanting to try some old Rye Bread. I am open to suggestions and recipes. I am looking for something that is easy and not complicated. I can even try using my bread machine to mix and then bake in the oven. I have found a recipe or two and they call for 1 square inch of bakers yeast and the other recipe calls for 2 oz of bakers yeast. I would like to know how to convert bakers yeast to the saf instant yeast or the regular yeast? Or, maybe the regular would be better in making Rye Bread?

I am open to suggestions.
Stumped.

Posted: 03 June 2012 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27

Rose lists the conversions here:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/12/yeast_conversion.html

All the yeasts deliver comparable results, once the quantities are adjusted.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-07-09

My recipe calls for “1 inch square of bakers yeast” so would that mean I should use either 2 teaspoons of instant or 2 1/2 teasponns of active dry yeast? 

And, for my other recipe that calls for 2 oz of cake yeast I should use 5 1/3 rapid yeast or how much of the regular dry active yeast should I be using?

Are my calculations correct?

Thanks!

Posted: 05 June 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
Gingerr - 05 June 2012 04:39 PM

My recipe calls for “1 inch square of bakers yeast” so would that mean I should use either 2 teaspoons of instant or 2 1/2 teasponns of active dry yeast?

If that quantity of fresh yeast is .75 ounces, then yes. 

And, for my other recipe that calls for 2 oz of cake yeast I should use 5 1/3 rapid yeast or how much of the regular dry active yeast should I be using?

Let’s see, you need 2 tsp of instant yeast for every .75 ounces of cake yeast, so therefore you need 2/.75 * 2 = 5.4 tsp of instant yeast or 2/.75 * 2.5= 6.7 tsp active dry.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach