Baking Around The World
Posted: 05 June 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-06-05

Hello, I am new on the forum today!

I am curently trying to write a book, to teach young children about different countries of the world and baking too! 
My aim is to tell children about different countries from around the world and then have a recipe from that country, so that children can bake somrhting and know about the country it comes from!

I am currently looking for recipes from different countries of the world and was wondering if anyone can help?

I would appreciate any help smile

Oriana x

Posted: 05 June 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

Welcome!

Rose actually discusses a book which you might find interesting on her blog

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2010/12/a_world_of_cake.html

If you need a recipe from the USA, Rose has the All American Apple Pie in her Pie And Pastry Bible which might be a good addition for you.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Posted: 05 June 2012 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-11-23

Hello Oriana,

This site looked interesting. Hopefully, it will help you find the perfect dish to represent the US.

http://www.whats4eats.com/north-america/united-states-cuisine

I admire your effort and good luck with your book.

lyny

Posted: 06 June 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

I recommend A World of Cake book , it is very detailed and nice explained everything.

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-05

Thank you

The World of Cake is an amazing book, I have a copy of this which I bought at Easter after doing a bit of research.
It contains some great and interesting recipes, I would recommend this book to anyone wanted to try something new from a different country.  It also contains many interesting facts too!

This book is similar to what I am hoping to do but my book will e for children and more educational on facts and different countries of the world as well, teachig about different cultures, languages etc

smile

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-05

I would love to find some Candian recipes if anyone knows any baking recipes from there which are suitable for children to make?
Also anything from Scandanavia, South America and Africa

Thank You
oriana smile

Posted: 07 June 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  327
Joined  2011-10-15
oriana - 07 June 2012 12:24 PM

I would love to find some Candian recipes if anyone knows any baking recipes from there which are suitable for children to make?oriana smile

Hi Oriana.

A few recipes come to mind but I think one that is very suitable for children to make is Nanaimo Bars, a layered bar with a chocolate/coconut/graham cracker crust, a vanilla custard filling and a chocolate ganache topping, originating from the very beautiful city of Nanaimo, BC, located on Vancouver Island. It’s a no-bake bar but does involve some stove top cooking. There are countless recipe variations but I’ve included a link to the city’s official recipe:

http://www.nanaimo.ca/EN/main/visitors/NanaimoBars.html

Hope this helps.

Posted: 09 June 2012 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-05

Hi Sophia,
I have just had a look at the recipe, it looks great thank you I cant wait to test it out!
Thanks
oriana smile

Posted: 10 June 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Sophia that nanaimo seems interesting, i never tried it before so maybe i will give it a try this days smile
Thanks!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 12 June 2012 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-06-01

Hi Oriana

I love Greek pastries. smile You may include some in your book. There are lots to find in the list here:
http://greekfood.about.com/od/dessertspastriessweets/Recipes_for_Greek_Desserts_Pastries_and_Sweets.htm

Signature 

When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.  ~Laiko Bahrs

Started to love Grass Fed.