Wedding Cake to Serve 300
Posted: 07 June 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-10-05

Hello Board,

I am baking a wedding cake for July 14th.  The cake consists of 4 tiers (5” round @ 4” high to be saved by the bride and groom)/8” round @ 2 1/2” high/11” round @ 4” high and 14” round @ 5” high.  This cake will serve approx 130-150 ppl, but I’d rather be safe than sorry and go with the 130 figure.

From there, I will obviously need more cake!  So the bride would like sheet cakes.  if I do the math, 300-130=170.  So my questions are:

1.  What size sheet pan would be best to use?

2.  The cakes will need to be filled with BC; therefore, should I use a 1” deep or 2” deep?
    If 1”, I realize I"d have to bake 2 pans and stack them
    If 2”, then I would have to torte and fill

3.  What serving size should I go with (2x2x2 1.5x2 or 1x2) - this is where I get confused??

4.  Depending on the serving size I choose, do I make sure to tell the cateror to please cut same that size?

5.  Sheet cake temps and times are another question as I’m getting conflicting answers?

6.  Can or should I make these ahead of time (week before wedding date) and freeze?  refrig? 

7.  I have a spreadsheet (Sheet 1 is each cake detailed with amts and Sheet 2 is total amts) that I need someone to review to check for any errors or miscalculations, but I can’t attach to this post…...

All advice/ tips would be so much appreciated!

Feel free to email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Thank you,
Lisa

Posted: 08 June 2012 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-10-05

Thank you so much for such a quick response to my questions…..great advice….I think the 1x2x4 is what I’ll go with; found a superb way of torting a sheet cake (you’ve prob already seen it) - I may post it if I have the time.  You actually split the top layer as normal but only go as far as the CENTER point (ex: 9x13 pan - cut only 6.5 of the top, lift that piece off, fill and replace.  Then move on to the other half 6.5 and do the same…..certainly looks easy and much easier than trying to handle one large 9x13 thin layer!

Thanks again and I may have LOTS more to ask….... smile