Can you make a tart in a pie pan?
Posted: 09 June 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I have a brown-tined pyrx pie plate, ant that’s it. It’s not deep dish.

If I don’t mind serving from the pie plate (since it obviously doesn’t have a push through bottom), can I make a tart in it, and just not make the crust go all the way up the sides?

I can buy tart pans, but I’d just as soon not get more “stuff” if I can reasonably avoid it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

—ak

Posted: 10 June 2012 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

I think it would work just fine.  You may want to pour water in it so that you get a sense of just how far up the sides your crust and filling should go.

You may need to use foil to create a custom edge protector, as your work-around may not have the edge in the right place for the manufactured ones.

Without a rim to rest the edge on, you may want to extend the edge a little higher to allow for shrinking and be sure to chill very throughly and use weights pushed all the way up to the top of the dough for blind baking.

If at some point you do decide to purchase a tart pan, the one that gets the most use in my kitchen is still the 1 3/8 tall, medium-deep tart pan.  The one I use for cakes with fruit or billowy swirls on top, or for tarts (works pretty well for 1” or 1 1/4” tart recipes).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 10 June 2012 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you very, very much!  Is your tart pan nonstick coated or regular?

Hey, p.s., next weekend I’m making the Open Faced Fresh Blueberry Pie—the one with the cooked & uncooked blueberries!!!!  I’m going to make some extra crust starts to put on top of it.

Posted: 11 June 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Mine is non-stick, I like the darker color for easy browning as well as the easy release. 

Blueberry pie sounds great!  Can’t wait to see it smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 June 2012 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks again!!!!