Layers withing tiers question from newbie
Posted: 10 June 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-06-10

Hi All

Hoping you can all advise me as I am baking my first wedding cake from TCB. The white butter cake with a lemon buttercream and lemon curd filling.

As i figure you just sandwich the 2 cakes together to form the tier, i was thinking of baking three 9 inch cakes to make a deeper middle tier. The recipe in TCB is for 2x6 and 2x9 inch layers. How do I calculate to make more mixture to make an extra 9 inch layer.

Is there a formula that i have not stumbled across??

I am a good cake baker i would say and am pushing myself to do bigger better cakes. I am good at the practical but not theoretical, so wondered if you guys could explain it to me real easy.

My cake tins are also 2 inches deep and I belive from my reading that this also makes a difference??

Thanks in advance cheese

Posted: 10 June 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-10

Hey guys, thank you sooo much. So I guess that is the formula if I wanted to decrease or increase ? My math is a little rusty. I have another cookbook that gives recipes for triple layer 9 inch cakes and I only wanted to make 2 layers of that one so I could apply that formula ??
Forgive me if I am being dense LOL

Thanks

Posted: 12 June 2012 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-06-10

Anne & Charles, thank you, it’s always great to learn something you never knew smile