Baking cake batter in stages
Posted: 12 June 2012 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-06-10

Hi All, I’m sure this was covered in another topic but darned if I can find it again.

if all your cake tins with batter cannot fit into oven all in one go, then can you leave cake batter on the side or the fridge whilst the others cook?? I seem to recall some saying you can/can’t and a good deal about adjusting baking powder???

I am doing to 2x 6 inch and 3x 9 inch. I have two ovens but they are prone to cold spots as i discovered when doing 3x9 cakes before. despite turning them around and changing shelves during baking, one cake came out damper and different texture than the other 2, still tasted great though.

But, as this is for someone elses wedding then I want to do better than that.

Look forward to hearing from you all

best wishes

herbqueen grin

Posted: 12 June 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Herbqueen!

If you can’t bake all your pans at once, you still wanto to FILL them all at once—don’t leave the batter in the mixing bowl.  Then, the filled pans can wait for the others.

Since 9” pans require less BP than 6” pans, and since sitting willl expel BP (making it, in effect, less), I would bake the 6” pans first.  Then I’d bake two 9”, and finally the last 9”.  If you can safely fit one 9” with the 6” that’s good, too.

You can leave the pans on the counter—your only risk is maybe a slight dome from the lessed (expelled) BP. Or you can put them in the fridge.  I’d take them out 10 minutes or so before baking, but you still might have to increase baking time a little bit.

Good luck!!!  Let usknow how it works out!

—ak

Posted: 13 June 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

Actually I have the same question but for cupcakes and madelines etc
I would like to whip up a really large batch of cupcakes.
My mixer can handle it but my oven cannot and I don’t have enough pans.
I only have 2 cupcake pans but I want to do my batter in one go.

If I leave the batter in the bowl, should I add more BP to it?
and by how much?

Thanks

Posted: 13 June 2012 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Aggie!

I think—and I could be wrong—that the reason you want the batter out of the bowl is it starts to “take shape” after mixing—doing its chemical stuff—and you don’t want that happening, only to muck it up when you put it in pans.  I don’t think it’s all BP, but perhaps it is. 

Maybe some friends can loan you some?  Most everyone (except me) has cupcake pans.

Keep in mind if you do find and fill many pans that they will all dome a bit differently due to their waiting to get in the oven.

Personally, I would only do batter for the two pans you have and mix several batches, since mixing only take a few minutes.  You can measure ahead all your various ingredients so they’re ready.

However, someone here may have done what you’re looking for and may have just the answer to make it simple!

—ak

Posted: 13 June 2012 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

I think you can only fit two cupcake pans in the oven, unless you use different shelves, which often doesn’t work well.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 14 June 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I’m no expert…and this is just my thought:  I wouldn’t let them sit in the fridge. You certainly could, and they might be ok, but if you really want them to turn out perfectly, I would mix the batter in the amounts that would fit in my oven, and bake them right away. even if it is more work.