Muffins and Ice Cream Sandwiches
Posted: 12 June 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

These were both baked for groups of kids, they’re the Bread Bible’s blueberry muffins with chocolate chips subbed for the blueberries (and the lemon zest omitted), and the RHC ice cream cake, which I’ve posted before.  The muffins are based on the sour cream butter cake but use AP flour, whole eggs, and the creaming method- you can see how perfect the size, shape and crust is with the sprinkled sugar.  No leftovers for a crumb shot!

The ice cream cake we make several times every summer, it’s my single most repeated recipe from RHC.  These were made with a half portion of the German Choc batter, using all AP instead of the cake flour/AP blend, and putting 61g into each one cup cavity (that recipe makes eight if you scrape everything out of the bowl).  We had the six from the flower pan plus two more baked in ramekins of the same capacity.  Completely yummy filled with Hagen Daz strawberry.

Image Attachments
Bread Bible choc chip muffins.jpgRHC IC sandwich.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 12 June 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1569
Joined  2011-02-17

Julie, everything looks so tempting! Your muffins are perfect!  I never thought to use chocolate chips. How fun!! And the ice cream sandwiches, WOW!  My family would love that!

Posted: 12 June 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Those do look fabulous!!!!!  Some happy kids chomping there!

Posted: 13 June 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thank you, Flour Girl and Anne!  Yes, happy kids smile

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2012 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Julie, those look so delectable!  Every time you bake something, I get inspired to try it out!  I was off dairy last summer, but I’ve already dusted off the ice cream maker with the hopes of trying some ice cream treats this year!  Great idea with the muffins!

Posted: 14 June 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

Julie: the muffins look wonderful and I’d like to make them for Father’s Day. Can you explain further your substitutions? Do you mean that you used the sour cream butter cake batter but mixed them as in the muffin recipe in the bread bible? Thanks for the clarification.

Posted: 14 June 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I made the Bread Bible blueberry muffin recipe as written, except that I subbed choc chips for blueberries (I used the same weight) and I omitted the lemon zest.  Everything else was the same.

I referred to the sour cream butter cake so that those who have baked it would know what sort of flavor to expect.  Also, it can be interesting to see how Rose changed a butter cake recipe to make it the right texture, dome, etc. for muffins.  But there were no changes, it is the Bread Bible’s recipe that is based on the SC butter cake.  Hope that makes sense!

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

That makes perfect sense. Thanks so much