Honey (rather than sugar) in pie “syrup”
Posted: 12 June 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

In the cases where a syrup for pie is made with sugar & water, has anyone used honey & water instead?  I know you’d have to reduce the water by 1/4 the amount of honey used ...

I also know that honey adds a bit of acidity, so I wasn’t sure if that would prevent the corn starch from “doing its thing” properly.

I was sort of considering using it instead of water + sugar in the open faced fresh blueberry pie (the one with part cooked, and part uncooked blueberries).

Thoughts???

Thanks!!!

—ak

Posted: 13 June 2012 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Its a great idea!  I am just about to use honey instead of sugar for cheesecake, just be aware that honey will have and overpowering honey taste!  Also, honey contains the same amount of calories as sugar, so…

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 13 June 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Hector!

Please let me know how it works in the cheesecake.

I wasn’t sure if the honey would prevent the syrup from thickening properly due to its acidity.

I’m not worrying so much for calories (actually, I’m not worrying at all ...), I just love honey, and I thought I might go slightly unrefined (says the girl with a cupboard full of Swan’s Down and Wondra).

I’ll put a little honey on the blueberries and see how they go together ...

—ak

Posted: 13 June 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Great idea to test the flavor of honey with blueberry- it may be that just a teaspoon or so is the right amount.  Aside from the question of honey flavor overpowering the fruit, I don’t think you’ll have a problem with the starch, but it might be safest to mix up a little test bowl and boil it, then see if it forms a thick glaze.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 13 June 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, great idea, Julie!! It never occurred to me to use some, but not all, honey.  Talk about an example of a Jung extremist, right???  Thanks!!!!