Variations - Mousseline Buttercream
Posted: 23 June 2008 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-05-20

I have tried Caramel Silk Meringue Buttercream and love it, but due to weather constraints need to make Caramel Mousseline Buttercream. 

Has anyone tried making it?  Can you teach me how?

Besides the variations in the TCB, what else can we add to MBC?

Posted: 23 June 2008 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I just made lemon Mousseline with 1.5 oz fresh lemon juice, 3 oz Limoncello, and lemon oil to taste.  It is quite good, though a little different than the variation made with lemon curd, which is superb. 

The thing about mousseline is that it always seems to need liqueur to thin it out and make the texture soft and super-creamy.  I haven’t made a caramel variation, but you might start by thinking about which liqueur you could pair it with - dissolving caramelized sugar in rum or cognac would be my first choice, because you have to be careful about adding too much sugar.  I have also sucessfully reduced the amount of sugar added to the whites from 1/4 cup down to 1/8 cup, this should help keep it from becoming too sweet.

What are the other components of the cake?  Would they work with rum or cognac?

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 23 June 2008 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I like to add pure vanilla (extract or vanilla bean paste) to taste instead of using the liqueur called for in the recipe.  Coffee is another favorite of mine that isn’t specifically mentioned as a variation for the Mousseline recipe.  But basically, you can incorporate flavor variations from just about any of the BC recipes.  Also, you may want to try doing a google search for more Italian meringue buttercream recipes (or IMBC).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 June 2008 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

When making passion fruit mousseline the other day, I wasn’t sure if one is supposed to add liqueur in addition to the curd.  I didn’t, but did increase the amount of curd used.  Would it still hold up for piping with both added and is the liqueur required?

Posted: 24 June 2008 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Annie,

Wow, passion curd mousseline sounds incredibly delicious!  I also wondered the same thing when making the lemon curd version about a month ago.  I did end up using a little extra curd and also some Limoncello liqueur, but I used only about 1.5 oz, not the full 3oz called for in the recipe.  I love the taste of lemon curd, but to me it always reminds me of pie, so for cake I wanted to add another flavor dimension, hence the liqueur.  I did do a little piping with it, no problem, but I did not subject it to prolonged hot weather so I don’t know if it would hold up as well in the heat. 

Best,
Julie

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

‹‹ Doll Cake      French Meringue Discs ››