sicilian cake storage
Posted: 15 June 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

Was just wondering if it s ok to bake and store the cake a day before . If i do bake and store . Should i leave it clingfilmed outside or syrup it and keep it in the fridge ? Im plannign on filling with a strawberry mousseline . Kinda nervous about the flavours…Does that sound ok?

Posted: 15 June 2012 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

What kind of cake is a Sicilian cake?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 15 June 2012 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Choco!

Is this the Sicilian Pistachio Cake from RHC?  If so, it’s a very mild cake, and I’m not sure if strawberry mousseline would overpower it or not!

As to keeping it, if you mean just the “cake part” so you can frost it the next day, I do this all the time.  I put each layer on a piece of waxed paper and then in a gallon size ziplock bag.  The waxed paper makes it easy to lift out of the bag—it keeps it from sticking to the bottom of the bag.  Then just put it in your fridge. I suck some of the air out with a straw, but gently—you don’t want to compress the cake.  I never syrup.

If you want to make the whole cake and then serve the next day, just make sure that when you frost it that there’s no gaps between the frosting and your cake carrier (or whatever the platform is) so that the frosting “seals” the cake.  Then you can just put the lid on and put it in the fridge.  If you want to, you can wait until the frosting gets good and cold and firm, take it out, some plastic wrap on it, cover it again and put it back in, but I wouldn’t do it just for one or two days.  Make sure to give it a good 4-6 hours to come to room temp for serving (unless you like cold cake, which I do). 

Good luck!  Report back!

—ak

Posted: 21 June 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

I wouldn’t frost it with anything but the frosting (and pistachios) as written on the recipe.  It is a very delicate and awesome flavor and doesn’t need to be combined or enhanced with other flavors.  Perhaps chocolate will match but not strawberries. 

I made it weeks ahead and froze it after it cooled.  Airtight.  Then I travelled with it and kept it refrigerated for 1 night and then room temp for the day it was eating.  The cake is moist, all those pistachios preserves the cake since nuts contain fat!

I did not syrup.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 22 June 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-05-31

Can anyone tell me what size sheet pan or cake baking pan to make this Sicilian cake recipe?