3 of 3
The Chocolate Pavarotti
Posted: 24 June 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 24 June 2012 05:28 PM

I made a version of Mom’s Chocolate Cake.  I made a lot of changes, so this comment really shouldn’t apply to the original recipe but the cake flavor seemed a bit…watery.  Can a cake be too moist?

I think a cake can be too moist….that is when it does not hold up well to cutting.  Does it seem too watery because you know there is a lot of water?  I am thinking of making this cake and adding cocoa like the Devil Foods cake.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 24 June 2012 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
CRenee - 24 June 2012 07:11 PM

Does it seem too watery because you know there is a lot of water?

Very possibly.  wink  I added a bit of cocoa and espresso powder to the formula because the photo at Food and Wine made the cake look very pale.  Mine came out very dark.  (And I used brown sugar.)

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 June 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 24 June 2012 07:14 PM
CRenee - 24 June 2012 07:11 PM

Does it seem too watery because you know there is a lot of water?

Very possibly.  wink  I added a bit of cocoa and espresso powder to the formula because the photo at Food and Wine made the cake look very pale.  Mine came out very dark.  (And I used brown sugar.)

I will take a photo next time I make it.  This moment I am making DCP because it is my other favorite…and I gift it in the morning.

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
CharlesT - 21 June 2012 04:43 AM

I’m also pondering potato flakes (not starch), which works well in bread.

One of my favorite cakes uses potato starch and toasted almond flour, but no wheat flour.  It’s the almond pound cake from Healey/Bugat’s Art of the Cake, which I make with a few substitutions (almond paste, lyle’s syrup).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Well, I just polished off the last of the Mom’s Chocolate Cake.  I think it improved over the span of a couple of days, or else it was just the joy of having a chocolate cake sitting there ready to be spooned up to restore my blood sugar.  Changes I might make are maybe slightly less water and slightly more oil, plus maybe some powdered milk.  The formula as is doesn’t seem quite rich enough, which is the same problem I have with the DCP without the ganache syrup.  I’d used oil, rather than butter, because I feel less guilty snacking on unsaturated fat.

It’s interesting that you can get such a good rise without any significant whipping of air into the batter.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 26 June 2012 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 26 June 2012 02:00 AM

Well, I just polished off the last of the Mom’s Chocolate Cake.  I think it improved over the span of a couple of days, or else it was just the joy of having a chocolate cake sitting there ready to be spooned up to restore my blood sugar.  Changes I might make are maybe slightly less water and slightly more oil, plus maybe some powdered milk.  The formula as is doesn’t seem quite rich enough, which is the same problem I have with the DCP without the ganache syrup.  I’d used oil, rather than butter, because I feel less guilty snacking on unsaturated fat.

It’s interesting that you can get such a good rise without any significant whipping of air into the batter.

That’s interesting…but you really did not make Mom’s Chocolate Cake.  May Auntie’s chocolate cake.  It is interesting the rise on the cake.  Note:  since I have converted the recipe to grams, the cake is better than FW lists it.  I do not use more water but a little more flour perhaps.

Signature 

3 of 3