re-solidify baking chips
Posted: 21 June 2012 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Hey everyone!
I ordered some chocolate chips online [dark,milk and white] and some peanut-butter ones, and by the time they were delivered to me, the peanut butter and milk chocolate chips have turned into a big, [delicious] block of chips.
They’re not just “stuck” together; I’ve tried putting them in the fridge for a few minutes and trying to seperate each chip but they are not seperated at all.
I have added a picture to demonstrate it..

I think the only way to salvage them is to melt them [VERY gently] and then pipe them again to a chip-form, but I have no idea the about the specifics- to what temperature do peanut butter chips, for example, stay “tempered” ? I want them to act, post-piping, like real chocolate chips, which you can handle without them melting between your fingers.

I would LOVE to hear some feedback, any feedback- Google was completely useless so far.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 21 June 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

How much does it weigh?  Is it enough to simply hack into about 4 pieces and bag each up (and wrap tightly in foil) and freeze for use in ganache, maybe?  That way, you won’t have to re-chip it.

Posted: 21 June 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

About 9 ounces.
The thing is, I WANT them to be chips.
I plan to use them in cookies and to top a cake, and I want the “chip” look.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 21 June 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

I believe there is a specific temperature range whereby they will maintain the solid form, but I think that degree of precision is very hard to achieve in a home kitchen environment, much less remain in that range to allow piping.

Personally, I would freeze them, put them in a plastic bag and beat them with a hard object in order to achieve the chunk look, rather than the chip look.  My view is that this is more visually appealing than chips;  anyone can buy chips, but not everyone can buy random-sized chunks.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 21 June 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I agree with Charles!  Bash -n- Chunk!  Chunks are very pretty.

Also, you can top your cake with beautiful shards:  Get two pieces of waxed paper about 12-14 inches long.  Melt the chocolate (double boiler, stir occasionally, when about 75% melted, remove from heat and stir to melt the rest).  Then, spread in a THIN layer on one piece of waxed paper.  Top with the other piece of waxed paper.  Roll up “lazy-tight”—i.e, not painfully tight—and refrigerate. When the chocolate is solid, unroll.  It makes beautiful, smooth-surfaced, but curved (like bark) shards.  They make the top of the cake look tres chic and look much fancier than the small amount of effort they take!

Posted: 21 June 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

FWIW, and p.s., if you want chips, the Ghiradelli 60% ones are quite good (I think), and you can probably get them at your local groc.  It’s not like you can have too much chocolate around!!!

Posted: 22 June 2012 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thanks everyone (:
Actually I’m not from the US so neither Ghiradelli nor peanut butter chips are available to me (:

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

If the fat in the PB chips isn’t cocoa butter, then it won’t need to be tempered, just gently melted, cooled and re-piped into chips.

You can try it with a little off the block and see how it goes before you melt the whole shebang smile

If the chips contain cocoa butter, then you’ll need to re-temper.  I’m not sure, though, about the prognosis for re-tempering without some (tempered) seed chocolate.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 27 June 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thanks Julie!
Actually, I’ve melted some of the chips, then mixed in some of the un-melted chips, just to imitate normal chocolate-tempering procedure (:
The milk chocolate ones are as soft as butter right now. The dark chocolate is nice and shiny, the other ones are matte. I think I’ll stick them all in the freezer, just ‘cause it’s crazy hot in Israel right now.

Thanks for the advice everybody!

Signature 

McBrownie.