Chocolate Brioche?
Posted: 21 June 2012 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

My copy of the Bread Bible has been borrowed :( and I’m working on a new fall/winter menu for a client and want to do a version of our popular bread pudding, but with a chocolate brioche instead of regular brioche.  Is there a recipe in the BB where the entire loaf is chocolate (not just the dough wrapped around a baton of chocolate or a lump of chocolate, or marbled in it)?  If not, does anyone have a recipe to share?  For this bread pudding, I want the bread to be chocolate, not the liquid.  I want to use our regular custard recipe, but laced with caramel, and use chocolate brioche for the bread.  But I need to do a test run of everything on the menu for the chef so we can pare down the menu and get it ready for a late fall menu change.

Thanks in advance smile!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 21 June 2012 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Jeanne,

I’ve checked the BB and there’s no recipe for chocolate brioche. However, I happened to watch pastry chef Anna Olson make one on her (Canadian) Foodnetwork tv show earlier this evening. I’ve not tried the recipe myself but it certainly looked good. I’ve included a link to the recipe…perhaps you can work with it.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/ontv/shows/bake-with-anna-olson/recipe.html?dishid=12692&titleid=272497

Your bread pudding idea sounds delicious!

Sophia

Posted: 22 June 2012 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Jeanne,

I looked in my books and could not find a chocolate brioche recipe but there is a discussion about it on Fresh Loaf

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/21071/anyone-ever-make-chocolate-brioche-dough

If none of these suggestions work for you, Extraordinary Cakes by Karen Krasne has an interesting recipe called Love Is Chocolate.

Her description of the recipe is:

“This chocolate bread pudding is not only one of the most popular desserts in my repertoire, but also one of the simplest to make. Essentially a spin on the French breakfast pastry, pain au chocolate, my version is buttery and crunchy, and best of all, gushing with chocolate! Delicious either on a bruch buffet or as a dessert, to enjoy this cake at its best, be sure to serve it warm.”

If you are interested in the recipe I will be happy to type it for you.

I hope you find what you are looking for

Posted: 22 June 2012 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

Thank you both for these great suggestions!

I am going to make both of them (I have Karen Krasne’s book, so thank you for that recipe recommendation!) and see which one the chef likes better.  Emily Luchetti has (had) a chocolate caramel bread pudding in her Classic Stars Desserts book, but I can’t find the book to see how she does it.  I use a variation on the Tartine bread pudding (using half heavy cream and half millk, with 8 eggs to 4 cups liquid) and it works beautifully with brioche.

Thank you both again! smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 22 June 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Jeanne, is this Emily’s recipe:

http://www.marthastewart.com/317884/chocolate-caramel-bread-pudding

Posted: 22 June 2012 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

While I am an avid fan of Anna Olsen and have many of her cookbooks, her recipes are hit and miss.  Some are really good but others don’t even turn out.  Just a word of caution.

Posted: 23 June 2012 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

thank you for the link, FlourGirl; I have to stop letting people borrow my books.  I couldn’t remember whether she used brioche or cake in the pudding; I like the way the brioche works in the regular bread pudding.  Thank you for the word of caution about the other recipe, ModernCake; it’s good to know that if it doesn’t work it might not be me!, but it might need some tweaking.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

You’re welcome Jeanne

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherry Yard also has a chocolate brioche, which I think she uses primarily for bread pudding.  Let us know which chocolate brioche you go with!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour