Has anyone made the Sweet Cream Flaky Pie Crust?  Love it?
Posted: 23 June 2012 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I haven’t made a pie since 1993, so I am ascared.

The Flaky Cream Cheese Crust is supposed to be the easiest crust to make, but the Open Faced Fresh Blueberry Pie (PPB 106) calls for the Basic Flaky Pie Crust.

Do you think this pie would go well with the cream cheese crust, or is there some sort of clash to beware of? 

How about the Sweet Cream Flaky Pie Crust (thanks, Sophia!), which is the Basic, but with a fixed quantity heavy cream subbing for water & vinegar.  I’m afraid to make a crust where I have to judge teh liquid.  Actually, this crust rather appeals to me because it uses bleached AP flour instad of pastry flour—my groc doesn’t have KA pastry, and I don’t want to mix my own.  I don’t want to add another variable, if you know what I mean.  Has anyone made this crust?  Is it fabulous and easy (including to roll)?

Thanks!!!

—ak

Posted: 23 June 2012 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

I don’t do pie crusts, but CI has one that incorporates vodka instead of water, because alcohol doesn’t produce gluten, yet makes the crust easy to roll.  If I were going to make a pie crust, I’d probably start there.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, Charles!  I have a couple CI “Holiday Baking” issues, and one of them has their crust.  A friend of mine uses it, and she says it’s very good and comparable in quality to Rose’s (she’s made both).  I think this crust isn’t for me, though, becuase it uses shortening and requires a food processor. (Their instructions have no “by hand,” and I don’t know enough to mess with working it out).

Posted: 25 June 2012 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2009-11-24

I do not make pies often, but I have been using the Cream Cheese pie crust each time (sweet potato, apple pie) ...it is so fabulously easy and perfect.  I cannot imagine why it would clash.  I would think the sweet cream would not be difficult.  But if you want o build your pie crust making confidence, go with the cream cheese

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 June 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

Hi Anne! What a coincidence! I’m making the Blueberry pie with the cream cheese crust today for a potluck!

I love the blueberry pie from PPB. It is delicious!! But the last time I made it it was a couple of years ago. Sometimes I made it with the Basic Flaky pie crust and sometimes with a store bought pie crust (the blueberry pie is so good that I had to make it often even if I didn’t have the time to make the crust myself!).

Today is the first time that I’m using the cream cheese crust with the blueberry pie. I already made the crust, and I will make the filling in a few hours. I hope everyone likes it!

Posted: 25 June 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Renee!  I just learned one of my grocs doesn’t have pastry flour (although the other has Arrowhead Mills brand) (see my new post http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/4560/).  Have you had any experience with making your own pastry flour—brands, etc. (since Rose says flours can vary by brand).  If so, feel free to respond to the new post…I figured a new post would make it easier if someone were searching this question later!!!

Posted: 25 June 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

Oh, making the pastry flour for just one pie crust is easy if you have a scale. I just did that today for my cream cheese pie crust.

Posted: 25 June 2012 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I have made the CI pastry crust, but I found it very sweet.  I like my filling to be the sweetener!

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve made the sweet cream variation of the basic crust, and it’s good, but not as good as the cream cheese crust!  Make the cream cheese crust, it will be lovely with blueberries smile

Wondra flour can be a great substitute for pastry flour, which is non-existent where I live (except in whole wheat form). 

Use Wondra!  Make the cream cheese crust! Use Wondra!! Make the cream cheese crust!!  Use Wondra!!! Make the cream cheese crust!!!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks Julie!!!  Is that the cc crust ad written (w blot update) but using 100% wondra in place of pastry flour???

Posted: 26 June 2012 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Found a post of yours where you refer to this—100% Wondra, so I’m good!

I will do the following: 

Use Wondra!  Make the cream cheese crust! Use Wondra!! Make the cream cheese crust!!  Use Wondra!!! Make the cream cheese crust!!!