RHC Devils Food
Posted: 24 June 2012 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

Not with the midnight ganache…but with some left over ganache.  I have started the journey I mentioned in another thread—chocolate cake testing.  It occurs to me I need to up my exercise activity. 

I like the taste of the cake, but it was a little dry even with syrup. I amy bake it again to see if 90 to 120 seconds fewer in the oven will make a difference.  Based on the taste of this cake, I am considering adding cocoa to my favorite (F&W).  F&W and Deep Choc Passion still my favorites.

Image Attachments
DevilSmall.jpgDevilSliceSmall.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 24 June 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1608
Joined  2011-02-17

It’s beautiful CRenee. The cake doesn’t look dry to me. I am eagerly awaiting the results of your experiment.

Posted: 24 June 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

It is surely a beautiful cake!!!  Your ganach is beautiful and your layers are so tall!  However, the DFC is not my favorite cake. I don’t find it dry, but I do find it a bit tender.  Rose did a post on the blog (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2009/11/devils_food_cake_on_page_99_of.html) where she changes the mixing method a bit.  I haven’t tried this myself, yet, though.  I think some found it a bit too fudgy using this revised method.  My current fave chocolate cakes are the Chocoalte Fudge Cake and the Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake/Torte.  The PAACBC is the same cake used in the RHC bundt cake with the marzipan candles.  The torte uses all yolks and no whites.

Posted: 24 June 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 24 June 2012 03:09 PM

It’s beautiful CRenee. The cake doesn’t look dry to me. I am eagerly awaiting the results of your experiment.

Thank you Flour Girl.  I am determined to get through the experiment as much as my budget and time allows.  Because I thought it dry, I think I do need to this one again.

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 24 June 2012 03:33 PM

It is surely a beautiful cake!!!  Your ganach is beautiful and your layers are so tall!  However, the DFC is not my favorite cake. I don’t find it dry, but I do find it a bit tender.  Rose did a post on the blog (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2009/11/devils_food_cake_on_page_99_of.html) where she changes the mixing method a bit.  I haven’t tried this myself, yet, though.  I think some found it a bit too fudgy using this revised method.  My current fave chocolate cakes are the Chocoalte Fudge Cake and the Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake/Torte.  The PAACBC is the same cake used in the RHC bundt cake with the marzipan candles.  The torte uses all yolks and no whites.

Thank you Anne.  I usually search the blog and forum before I make a Rose recipe and failed to do so this time.  I will use the revised approach next time.  All Rose Cakes are on my schedule.  I will even do those I have done before since I have learned so much from this forum and think myself a better baker.

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2012 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I am so interested in your experiment!  I think I fall into the same camp as you regarding some of the chocolate cakes!  I love the Deep Choco Passion and I, too, found the Devil’s food dryish—even with mods!  I wanted to try the FandW cake you suggested for my dad’s cake, but instead I’m trying Amy’s Bread’s Devil’s cake b/c it uses some cocoa.  Will report back, though!

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sherrie - 25 June 2012 11:31 PM

I am so interested in your experiment!  I think I fall into the same camp as you regarding some of the chocolate cakes!  I love the Deep Choco Passion and I, too, found the Devil’s food dryish—even with mods!  I wanted to try the FandW cake you suggested for my dad’s cake, but instead I’m trying Amy’s Bread’s Devil’s cake b/c it uses some cocoa.  Will report back, though!

Great…. I am deciding now what to bake next.  I prefer recipes giving weights.

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

You should chronicle your quest on a blog!  Keep us posted, we love following your progress smile

Nice DFC, if it’s too dry for you perhaps you could send some my way…

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 26 June 2012 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 26 June 2012 01:42 AM

You should chronicle your quest on a blog!  Keep us posted, we love following your progress smile

Nice DFC, if it’s too dry for you perhaps you could send some my way…

Thank you, Julie.  I am trying to figure blogging out.  I certainly need to keep better notes.

Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2012 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Im thinking to start some blog about cooking. I started collecting recipes but still it seems too complicated to me and lack of time too.. :/

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway