Brands of Pastry Flour
Posted: 25 June 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

Neither of my grocs cary King Arthur pastry flour.  Dastardly!  One only hasArrowhead Mills Pastry Flour; the other has NO pastry flour.  Beastly!

Has anyone tried Arrowhead Mills?

I know you can make your own pastry flour—any brand combos that worked well?  I know Rose mentions brands can vary, so I thought I’d see if anyone has had success.  This will be for the Flaky Cream Cheese crust.

Many thanks!

—ak

p.s. I know I can mail order, but I don’t really want to.

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

I never really knew one could make pastry flour.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

You can approximate pastry flour by mixing two flours, one with less protein than pastry and one with more.  It isn’t true pastry flour, though, and I prefer Wondra to the cake flour/AP blend.  I make the cream cheese crust with Wondra- works perfectly.  And I will make it with bleached AP from time to time, if I’m out of Wondra.  But then I’m very careful not to work it too much and to choose a presentation that won’t be marred by a bit of shrinking.  And I’m also careful to err on the side of underbaking rather than overbaking.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, Julie!  I would have tended to OVER baking to get a crisp crust, so that’s really helpful.  Do you err to underbaking (rather than over) when you use wondra,  too?

Posted: 26 June 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

I use Bob’s Red Mill Pastry Flour.  I often sub half the AP flour and use Pastry Flour in it’s place ( not in Rose’s recipes).

Walmart should carry it.  You can also get it on line in a larger quantity.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bob-s-Red-Mill-Whole-Wheat-Pastry-Flour-5-lb-Pack-of-4/17340041

Posted: 26 June 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, FG!!!

Julie, I actually found a post of yours (apricot marscipone tart - yum) that has your hints.  I think I replicated them on my PPB updates post, as well, so I’m good!  Golden is better than russett! Overbaking encourages shrinking!  Got it!!!!!!!!

Posted: 27 June 2012 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

The crust shouldn’t be too pale, you do want some color, but overbaking to a russet color will increase shrinking.  Still tastes good, though smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls