Not monumental, but a big deal to me…..
Posted: 24 June 2008 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-05-17

Hello!  I wanted to post a picture of my first “from scratch” cupcakes.  I used the All-Occasion Downy Yellow butter cake recipe.
A few of my observations….
First of all, as soon as they were done, I picked one up and went “Huh”??  because it was not heavy.  I was almost dissapointed.  I thought…they must be too dry!  I cut it in half, popped it in my mouth….and the thought of dissapointment completely dissapeared.  I mean….it was so light, but moist…not light because it was dry, but because it was just perfect cake!  And I didn’t even weigh anything!

I must say…I am so impressed, and humbled by the result.  I mean this in a nice way to Hector, because I know he meant it in a nice way to me…but…thanks for making me feel like an idiot for using boxed mixes.  ANd all you guys were right…there is no comparison.

I am so excited.  I know I should start slow…and I need to get a scale.  I have 150 cupcakes and one giant cupcake to make for the shower/barbecue for my niece’s wedding shower this weekend.  I would like to also make white chocolate cupcakes and I hope they work as well.

I can’t wait for my husband to get home and try this.  So far he’s been duly impressed with my IMBC’s and the white chocoate cream cheese frosting as well, (and he is by nature not someone who gets impressed easily!!)

Image Attachments
cupcakes1.JPG

Posted: 24 June 2008 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Good for you!  I know just how excited and pleased you must be feeling, doesn’t it feel good to produce your own home-made cakes!! wink

Posted: 24 June 2008 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Isn’t that a wonderful feeling?

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 24 June 2008 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Congratulations! And happy baking!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 24 June 2008 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

It IS a big deal to us as we can celebrate your success too.  These cakes look scrumptious - think I’ll go bake a cake!

Posted: 24 June 2008 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Cakemom, and I am so happy for you, and success stories like yours, even you think it is only small, is what keeps us motivated and the blog growing.  I apologize for drawing you less than what you truly are capable of.

Your cupcakes look wonderful, and very even.  What did you use to portion or scoop?  To be even, I confess to you that I am a total cupcake idiot… mine’s never come out great, I always under/over/unevenly bake them.

I think cake mixes have advanced a long ways, and some do taste great and have a wonderful texture.  In fact, many bakeries use cake mix!!!  But that discussion belongs in other blogs.

I’ve heard Rose mention several times that her challenge when she started baking cakes is to make cakes at home, from scratch, that will have the wonderful texture of cake mix, but with a much improved flavor.  She has accomplished that, and we can’t wait for her next book.

We love to hear from you.

Here a post I did recently on the wonderful white chocolate cream cheese buttercream.  It is really great:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2008/05/king_of_biscuits_has_feet_of_c.html#comment-102654

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 24 June 2008 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Congratulations Cakemom - I have a feeling this won’t be your last scratch recipe from TCB!!! smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 June 2008 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Congratulations Cakemom, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Wait till you try the other cakes in the Cake Bible.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 24 June 2008 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-05-17

Thanks everyone!  I did use a scoop to portion the mix, and I had enough to make about 18 mini cupcakes which my kids gobbled up without icing. 

My son is on the swim team here, and we were informed tonight that each family must bring something for each home meet’s bake sale.  Now, sometimes I hate to bring things because my cupcakes are usually a bit more professional looking….considering I teach cake decorating….so sometimes I feel like I am showing off.  Of course if they asked us all to do math I am sure there are some accountant parents who make my math look pretty mediocre as well.  (the whole “Rose Factor” thing is still not clicking with my brain).  Oh well, they will surely get their .25 cents worth if nothing else!

Any way…thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Posted: 24 June 2008 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Excellent job!  Don’t you feel great?  Please continue to share all your great stuff as you try out different Cake Bible recipes, we’d love to see some of that talented decorating!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 25 June 2008 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2008-05-19

Cakemom,

Don’t feel bad about the “Rose Factor” confusion.  I actually found it easier to write a spreadsheet to do the calculations for me, than to try and do it all on paper, or worse, in my head.  It took a while to grasp the concept.  But it really is a wonderful thing, to be able to bake any size cake from a single recipe.

I hear you about the bake sale.  I donate pies and cookies for my Son’s school fundraisers.  To see a 2lb pecan pie go for $7.00.  Well, it’s for a good cause, and I get to bake without feeling obligated to eat it.  (Test cakes are evil).

JennyBee

Posted: 25 June 2008 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-04-24

Congratulations Cakemom!
They look beautiful and even, you have reasons to be proud smile
It never ceases to amaze me how baking can make one feel so good.. it?s like magic!

Posted: 01 July 2008 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

Personal to Patrincia:  I’m BAAAACK smile

Very nice cupcakes… I rarely make them… they’re so much work.  My heart goes out to those people who make them by the score for weddings.

I’ll share a personal story to put baking from scratch into perspective. 

I did a cake for a farewell lunch for the receptionist at one of my clients here in the DC area (her husband is being transferred to Papua New Guinea).  I didn’t think it would be enough, so I went to Georgetown Cupcake and got a dozen cupcakes.  Total charge before taxes: $30.00.  They were good, but I think of all the cupcakes and frosting I could make for $30!

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 01 July 2008 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Congratulations, Cakemom!  Well done.  You should be proud to bake from scratch, you won’t go back to the box mix ever again. The Downy Yellow Butter Cake is my absolute favorite yellow cake now, I don’t even bother to look at any other recipes for yellow cake.  Hope all your baking for the shower goes smoothly.

MrsM cheese

Posted: 01 July 2008 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I loved Georgetown on my first and most recent visit to D.C. last year!  Georgetown Cupcakes looks great.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 01 July 2008 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

They look great alright, but $2.50 - 2.75 each… Ouch!  So nice to know we can make cupcakes just as good or better than that for a fraction of the cost, thanks to Rose!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com