Aluminum or SS - Baking a pie/crust on a heated cookie sheet
Posted: 29 June 2012 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I don’t have a baking stone, so I’ll have to bake my crust on a preheated cookie sheet.  I have a stainless steel cookie sheet and an aluminum jelly roll pan (whatever—the one doesn’t have edges, the other does). 

Will one work better than the other, as far as being hot and otherwise simulating the baking stone?

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 29 June 2012 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

The steel will take longer to heat up, but will retain heat better so I’d suggest using it.  Although, I’m not totally convinced of using the stone method.  I think, initially it helps heat up the pie better, but I think that after some duration, the stone insulates the pie from heat and it actually takes longer to heat up.  My pies often take way longer to cook when frozen (even than suggested)—so I’m trying out other methods and I’m thinking of scrapping the stone after (20-30 mins. or so?).  This could be somewhat beneficial, too as it would prevent the crust from overcooking while the filling catches up.  But I’m still experimenting with this. 

Anyway, I’d go with the steel pan if you are trying to mimic a stone.  Also, many people use quarry flooring tiles, too.  So you can be creative!

Posted: 29 June 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Sherrie! 

I’ll try the stainless on my bottom rack, then, which is about 2” above the exposed element.  I have time floors, but they are glazed, I think, in some way, so I’d be afraid to try one of the spares!!!

Please do report what happens when you go stoneless!

—ak

Posted: 29 June 2012 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

The heat capacity of aluminum is quite a bit higher than stainless steel, at least for a given weight of material.  If the two sheets weighed the same, the aluminum would heat faster and retain more heat;  if the stainless one is heavier, then it would be harder to determine.  The reason that cast iron retains so much heat is that it’s just so darned heavy. Aluminum of the same weight would retain more heat.

I can’t believe, though, that anyone would make a stainless steel cookie sheet; the conductivity is so poor that things would tend to bake unevenly.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 June 2012 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Aluminum is a better conductor of heat for sure. That is what makes high-end cookware like All-Clad so popular.

Cook’s Illustrated recommends a half sheet made of aluminum alloy because of the even heating.

I would go with the aluminum if at all possible.

So you’re baking the pie! Yay!  grin

Posted: 29 June 2012 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks CT and FG!

My aluminum weighs 1076 g and the SS is 1322—- BUT (as Lee Wee Herman says, “Everybody’s got a big but[t]”—the SS pan is actually All Clad!  So I guess I’ll use it—heavier and aluminum core (or whatever it is)!

Posted: 30 June 2012 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 30 June 2012 02:50 AM

the SS pan is actually All Clad!

Wow, very nice.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 June 2012 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 30 June 2012 03:45 AM
Anne in NC - 30 June 2012 02:50 AM

the SS pan is actually All Clad!

Wow, very nice.

Ditto! Way Cool!

Posted: 30 June 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks!  I got it for roasting veggies about 6 or 7 years ago, so,  since then, I’d forgotten “what it was” in the larger sense.  It was always just the ss pan!

Posted: 30 June 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

All Clad pan sounds very nice smile

I agree with Sherrie, the pizza stones do a great job of heating up the pie crust when you first put the crust on it, but they don’t continue to transfer heat to pan at such a high rate.  I sometimes move the pie off the stone after the first 20-30 minutes.  If your All-Clad is silver, I would probably recommend moving the pie off of it after a while, as the light color can inhibit browning.  If you have convection, you can use that and skip the stone.

I think you’re using a pie pan for this, but just wanted to say that because removable-bottom tart pans leak butter, I put mine on a 10” springform base for baking, as it prevents me from accidentally putting my hand through the bottom and ruining the crust.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe