How to prevent “doming” when baking with large sheet cakes?
Posted: 04 July 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-02-10

I’m embarking on my first character cake for my son’s 4th birthday in a couple of weeks.  He wants a fire engine cake and I found the cutest one here on this site:  http://www.heatherdriveblog.com/2010/03/fire-truck-cake-fire-cupcakes.html 
Right now, I’m in the planning stages of making this cake and trying to think of all the pitfalls I may encounter while tackling this task.  This cake will be baked in large sheet pans due to some minor sculpting and shaping of the fire engine.  Since I have never baked in a large sheet pan before the question popped into my mind as to how in the world does one prevent doming inside large sheet can pans?  The size of the cake pan is 12 x 18.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 04 July 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-02-10

Thank you for the responses.  Now, I have more questions regarding choosing the the right type of cake for sculpting.  My wife wants me to make a simple yellow or white cake, ice it with a simple flavored buttercream, and fill it with a cream cheese filling.  As far as the cake is concerned I was thinking about going with RCB’s All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake, White Velvet Butter Cake, or the Golden Luxury Butter Cake.  Would any of these cakes pair well with Burnt Orange Silk Meringue Buttercream?  Will be able to tint this buttercream that deep red color as in the the link in the OP?  If not, which buttercream do you think will taste good and work well with the application I would like to use it for?