Lemon Meringue and Banana
Posted: 04 July 2012 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

These are both test cakes.  I had lemons and have been waiting for the bananas to get right for the Banana Refrigerator Cake.  I did not use allof the meringue in the Lemon Meringue Cake, but no I see how important it is..  Also it appears 3 minutes in my oven is too long…need to stand by oven and watch through the glass.  I really had wanted to do lemon meringue cupcakes, but it asd time to use the bananas.  So, I made banana cupcakes with Lemon Curd Topping and meringue topping. 

Lemon Meringue is my fav pie so I love the cake…. I need to try the banana cake later.

Image Attachments
LemonMerCake0704.jpgLemMerCakeSlice0704.jpgLemonBana0704.jpgLemBanaCut0704.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 05 July 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Those look wonderful!  I would have done the same thing as you- less meringue in making the lemon meringue cake- what did you think was lacking that more meringue would have given it?

I love the look of the cupcakes and the lemon-banana combination- lemon seems like the perfect foil for ripe, sweet bananas.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 July 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Agreed on all counts!  Beautiful, and I’d have thought less meringe, as well, so I’d also be interested in what the results brought to mind that made you think you should have used it all. 

The lemon sounds fabulous with banana.

Posted: 05 July 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Julie, Anne,.....Lemon Meringue is absolutely one of my favorite pies.  If it is on the restaurant menu or in my path at the grocery store, I could end up with it.  The Pie usually has more meringue and the photo in RCH has more meringue.  By looks, I think it needs more meringue…by comparison to Lemon Meringue Pie, it needs more.  I only used less because (1) I did not realize how little it was… (2) I was saving some for the banana cupcakes.  I had thought of making lemon meringue cupcakes but the banana time had come.  By the way, I made 18 cupcakes, I think I could get two dozen from that recipe.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.