Alternative use for a fudge disaster
Posted: 05 July 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-07-05

Hello all!

I just wanted to ask for some help for my current problem: I made fudge yesterday (or tried to make it), and failed dismally, with it staying semi-liquid and never hardening the way it should! Now, I made quite a lot of this sweet mass (used 1 kg of sugar), and think it highly wasteful to throw away, but at the same time I can’t stand having to consume all this in its current form!
So my question is what can I now do with it - is there a way of still making fudge out of it, or is there an easy recipe for perhaps a cake or something, that will use it up?

With thanks,
lovelydeer grin

Posted: 05 July 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, lovelydeer!

I am the queen of failed fudge, so I can give you lots of ideas.  Or at least a couple!

First, it will make fabulous frosting.  Just throw it in your freezer and, when you need some chocoalte frosting, thaw it out and whip some butter into it.  This works even if you have nuts and such in it.

To rescut it as fudge, you can also do a couple of things.  If you want it to be less sweet, find yourself some cocoa butter—the eating kind (try a health food store).  Melt it, let it cool so it’s pretty cool but not solidifying, and mix it thoroughly into your room temperature fudge. It will probably take as much cocoa butter as you have fudge, so plan for a lot.  It will still seem liquid after you do this, but, like chocolate, cocoa butter is solid at room temp, so as it comes to room temp (and you can throw it in the fridge) it will become a solid.  You can also use chocolate the same way, which will contribute whatever sweeness the chocolate has.

To figure out how much cocoa butter (or chocolate) you need is this.  Chocolate is solid.  Your fudge is whatever it is.  If you want it to be halfway between what it is and a total solid, use an equal weight of chocolate or cocoa butter. 

If you don’t use enough, you can melt more and do it again!

When I do this, I also add “stuff” to it to sort of “break up” the mass—nuts, coconut, whatever.

No one will know it’s been rescued, unless you have people who really know their fudge stuff.  I did this last Christmas, and the fudge was a real hit.  Most people really liked it, too, becuase I used cocoa butter and the fudge wasn’t so teeth-rottingly sweet.

Happy rescuing!!!!

—ak

Posted: 06 July 2012 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-05

Ah, there we go!

Thank you so much for your advice - you saved my day!

lovelydeer

Posted: 06 July 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-05

I have used your advice, and thought it proper to give some feedback on my fudge: I added cooking chocolate (so it wasn’t too sweet) and quite a lot of crushed nuts, and it became much more solid than before, but still not fudge style. So, I used half of it to make biscuits (just added flour and eggs), and the other I put into the freezer to later use as frosting (as you adviced).
Overall, I think this was a learning experience for me, and next time I try to make fudge again, I will definitely use smaller portions!

lovelydeer smile

Posted: 06 July 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

The biscuits sound wonderful!

I should have added, as well, that, if you went the cocoa butter route, it feels like a oily mess, and you must just massage it throughout.  The cocoa butter will harden, and it won’t be oily.  I know you didn’t do this, but I wanted to add it for posterity!

FWIW, and I’m not sure this is completely true, because I can’t make fudge to save my life, but I have heard that you must be careful to not use too much corn syrup, as that wil prevent it from solidifying.  I think my recipe called for, say, 2t., but rather than measure the gooky stuff, I estimated ... so that could have been my problem (I later learned).