The first cake made by my daughter
Posted: 29 June 2008 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Here’s a quick photo of the cake my daughter completely surprised me with for my 40th b-day on Friday - she baked and decorated it by herself, and her eyes welled up when she saw how surprised and pleased I was!  I truly had no idea what she was up to in the kitchen, and honestly, I never expected a cake - she’s made muffins and cookies in the past, but never a cake.  I think she did a fantastic job, especially considering she doesn’t get to watch me bake or decorate very often because a) I don’t like company in the kitchen when I’m baking, and b) most of my cake projects happen long after everyone is in bed. 

Anyway, she baked the two layers in a 10” pan (10” ?); she used Baker’s Joy (didn’t know about parchment paper), she leveled each layer with a serrated knife (didn’t know about Magi-cake strips), she spread the frosting on with 2 bench scrapers and 3 offset spatulas, and she piped the stars and “We *heart* Mom” using a star tip and sandwich bag… actually 3 bags (2 of them broke at the seam while she was piping and she had to start over each time - poor thing).  Bless her heart - despite the fact that the cake was made from a boxed mix and canned frosting, and the fact that I’ll probably find chocolate fingerprints in my kitchen for weeks, it’s my favorite cake ever!  Very brave of her to make it, and I soooooooo love that she did it!  She’s proven to me that she’s ready for Cake Bible lessons!

Oh, big cheers to my youngest daughter too, for making the cutest mini cakes in the Easy-Bake oven - we didn’t get any pictures because we gobbled them up so fast wink.

Image Attachments
DSCN1101 (Small).JPG
 Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 June 2008 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

So that’s what all the secrecy was about!  What a lucky mum!  You must have been so touched, what a lovely, lovely surprise.  How old is your daughter, Patricia?  she’s obviously walking in your footsteps anyway. wink

Posted: 29 June 2008 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14

Please tell your daughter that I can’t pipe stars as well as she can….and I’m 42!  Truly, I’m envious. smile

Most kids these days seem reluctant to “do” things.  I guess it’s just become easier to sit back and be instantly gratified and entertained….or to run out and buy something.  What a lovely and thoughtful gesture to create something that’s dear to mom’s heart…a cake.

Posted: 29 June 2008 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-04-24

Happy birthday Patrincia!
You are both very lucky. Please send my congrats to your daughter, I bet she knew nothing could beat this…I can?t think of a better gift!

Posted: 29 June 2008 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

What a great surprise Patrincia, it must have made your birthday.  Great job by the girls!

Posted: 29 June 2008 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Patricia, you must be one proud mum. Your daughters did a great job. They definitely have “baker’s genes”.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 June 2008 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-11-15

Happy (belated) Birthday, Patrincia!!!

I’ve logged in after many days and what a wonderful post to see first.
Good on your daughters.

Posted: 30 June 2008 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Happy Birthday (also belated- sorry!) Patrincia!

I’ll bet you’ll never taste a cake as sweet or made with as much love as this one.
It’s the ‘ingredients’  we can’t weigh or measure that go into such recipes which make treasured memories of food like this so special.

Posted: 30 June 2008 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks so much for your very kind words everyone - I don’t know if my daughter will be pleased or embarrassed that I posted her cake (she’s 13 and some of you know how unpredictable that age can be) smile.

Oh, WELCOME BACK NUSHERA!!!  You’ve been missed!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 June 2008 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 30 June 2008 03:35 PM

Oh, WELCOME BACK NUSHERA!!!  You’ve been missed!

Ditto!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 01 July 2008 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

great cake, and piping brown on brown what an elegance!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 02 July 2008 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Patrincia:
Thanks for a great posting…I loved reading it…and I’m sorry to say…I secretly used to eat canned frosting with a spoon…so Yeah! to canned frosting.

Bill

Posted: 05 July 2008 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Happy Belated Birthday, Patrincia!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)