Passionfruit mousseline
Posted: 10 July 2012 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2011-05-15

So i want to attempt the passionfruit mousseline however i saw on the trial mousseline thread tht omeone used reduced passionfruit juice to make the mousseline instead of the curd… now i have boiron passionfruit puree so im wondering if i sweeten this up coould iuse it in the same manner we use strawberry and raspberry puree ? or would it not work ?

Posted: 10 July 2012 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

I think it would work- use your judgement when looking at how thick the puree is- but remember the buttercream base is already sweet when deciding how much to sweeten it.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 10 July 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-27

It’s ok, but it’s on the order of fabulous if you make passion curd and add that to the buttercream.  Using the curd gives a fuller flavor than just the puree; but the puree works.  Be careful when adding either, it’s possible to add too much curd and break the emulsion.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 10 July 2012 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2011-05-15

Really ? Hmmm to be very honest not only is it the time constraint that is stopping me but the fear of egg yolks… im somehow ok with the egg whites but when workign with egg yolks whether creme anglais for SMB or curd it kinda freaks me out…and plus i somehow seem to notice a distinct egginess to the mix…a eggy smell u could say. i know im prolly cooking to the right temp as i use the thermapen.. any idea why?  Now that u tell me the curd would make the buttercream better im curious to try it .. =) Thank you both!

Posted: 10 July 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-27

As far as the curd is concerned, you will have better luck if you mix the yolks and sugar well together, then add the juice and the butter.  Stir constantly over medium heat - we have two pans at work that *always* scorch so we always use a silicone spatula that gets into the corners.  All yolks make for a firmer curd than when using a combination of whole eggs and yolks and it is definitely “eggier” (but not as eggy as a custard) but with the passionfruit, that egginess is lessened (for my taste).  I like to spread a thin layer (think skim coat) on the cake layer itself before filling with passion buttercream, and we use the curd straight as a filling for our pavlova (topped with whipped cream and fruit as traditional).

Try it smile See what you think!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

‹‹ PEACHES      Hector’s Coconut Buttercream ››