French meringue
Posted: 13 July 2012 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-04-26

I ‘m trying to beat some egg whites to glossy stiff peak. No matter how I beat, I just cannot get to that stage.

I’m using KA mixer for all trial.

when I use high speed throughout (that means from beginning of beating until end for about 2-3 mins), the whites came out dry and lumpy, dull also.
when I use low speed to beat until frosty, then add caster sugar, after that, crank up to medium speed for few mins, it also turn out dull and grainy.
when I use medium speed and turn up to high speed after adding sugar, it turn out also grainy!

it never go to that stage of glossiness, and for every trial, it hsa never gotten to the compact meringue stage. evn after it turned grainy, the bubble in the meringue is still quite large, definitely not the creamy compact meringue that we are looking for. it just went straight from frosty to grainy!

I’m quite sure my bowl is very clean with no oil, water, etc. I’m refraining from using cream of tartar.

I’ve given up wasting my egg whites.:(

does anyone has any clue why I just cannot get a glossy stiff peak??

Thank you so much!

Posted: 14 July 2012 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Your symptoms sound like over beating. Which is what cream of tartar helps prevent. CofT is a natural product and is simply a mild acid. If you are absolutely set against its use you could experiment with small amounts of any acid like lemon juice or vinegar. The technique that works for me is that I keep the mixer slow until the egg whites develop a small amount of froth. Then I increase the speed to medium until the whites foam. Then advance to high.
It is best to have the egg whites at @70 farenheit.
I think I encouraged you once before to try the hand whisk. It is faster more reliable and you can whip smaller practice amounts.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 14 July 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

Thanks for replying!

not sure if you have advised to start with hand whisk? but its certainly a good advice!

the problem is, the meringue was ovrbeated without even go through the good stage…it just went straight from frosty whites to grainy…sort of skipping the stiff peak stage.
strange…

Posted: 14 July 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

smile Probably someone else. I like to use the whisk. This is not a process where the method is very critical. As long as the bowl etc are clean it will work nearly every time no matter how you do it.
I would consider next your eggs. New eggs are best. What region of the world are you in?

Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2012 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

i live in singapore. dont think its the eggs coz the eggs need to aged? if the bowl isn’t clean, it won’t even whip up right?

sigh…i’m wasting the egg whites…:(

Posted: 14 July 2012 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

I tried again this early morning. this time, I added cream of tartar and pinch of salt. it does whipped up properly and stiff peak. but it was never glossy. even after pssing the stiff peak sstage.

Posted: 15 July 2012 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

Fresh egg is best. Glossy comes after adding sugar to make meringue. Is your kitchen air conditioned? 70F and 15% humid are best. Singapore is different.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

can someone please advice me…

I went through Dorie Greeenspan Paris sweets book for “Opera Cake” recipe. The recipe calls for 6 large egg whites to be beaten with 30gram of sugar.

Is it possible to beat until stiff and glossy WITHOUT any cream of tartar , salt or lemon juice?

The recipe did not call for any ‘helper’ (cream of tartar, etc).

From what I understand, the ratio for a proper meringue is 1 white:30 g sugar. Is that correct?

Please help!

Posted: 11 August 2012 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  671
Joined  2012-01-12

what are trying to make ?  the cream of tartar will not hurt your eggs in anyway..  it is just an aid to give the egg whites stability.
maybe it is the humidity.  do not worry about glossy ,  what is important is that it is stiff and and well beaten..
I am from Philippines,  so knowing the weather in Asia,  that might be the cause.. good luck

Posted: 11 August 2012 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

yes, a bit of cream of tartar wouldn’t hurt, but I just do not understand why other people can whip to a nice glossy stiff meringue, I just cannot. my meringue simply turn from soft peak STRIAGHT to dry and dull, with lumps. thats definitely overbeaten i know.

i just want to know if KA is the reason, could it be its too ‘strong’? maybe using a handheld mixer would be better controlled?

Posted: 12 August 2012 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
rafemama - 12 August 2012 02:14 AM

i just want to know if KA is the reason, could it be its too ‘strong’? maybe using a handheld mixer would be better controlled?

The KA can be as “weak” as you want it to be.  As I get nearer to the desired stage, I only turn the mixer on for brief periods of time.  If I test the whites and they’re soft, I will turn the mixer back on for 10 seconds or so, then test them again. Or you can just slow the mixer down and that would probably give you a bigger margin of error.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 14 August 2012 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

right. thats why I want to know for hand held electric whisk, what is the similar speed on KA mixer.

Posted: 14 August 2012 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
rafemama - 14 August 2012 11:17 PM

right. thats why I want to know for hand held electric whisk, what is the similar speed on KA mixer.

There’s no way to know; mixers vary in the RPM at particular settings.  I would just take whatever setting you were using on the KA and slow it down a few notches.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 15 September 2012 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-15

Thanks for giving the information about egg beating..this is the right way to perform the tast.

Signature 

http://pass4sure.nl
http://www.genesys.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesys_(company)
http://www.amazon.com/Razors-Genesys-Aggressive-Skates-2013/dp/B00C7YG1U0