Using dacquoise as component of layer cake
Posted: 17 July 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey there im planning on making the white chocolate whisper cake filling with a strawberries and strawberry silk meringue and frostign with white chocolate mousseline. i would also like to include a layer of dacquoise…either toasted almond or coconut lime.. Was wondering if the dacquoise is going to get soft when layered with the buttercream and if so would painting the cooled dacquoise with a layer of melted white chocolate help to retain the crispiness? =)

Posted: 18 July 2012 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

bump…=)

Posted: 19 July 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

The dacquoise will soften with time, if you serve it shortly after composing it will still be crisp, but then will soften to a mouse-like consistency after a day or so.  I don’t exactly how much time will give you a specific texture, but since you’re going for crisp I’d say try to serve it soon after assembling. smile

As for the white chocolate, it may provide some extra time before the softening occurs, but it won’t prevent it completely.  It will make a sweet component (meringue) even sweeter.

Sounds like a nice cake, hope you post a picture!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 02 December 2012 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-10-14

Oh, dear. I was planning for my next layer cake to make a hazelnut cake with two layers of daquoise, composed like the ` a taste of heaven` cake in the CB. I wanted to compose it 1 day ahaid, like 24 hours before the party. A filling of hazelnut meringue buttercream or ganache on top of the dacquoise.  Should I bedoing this? I imagened a crisp layer, but will that happen?

Posted: 03 December 2012 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

That sounds heavenly ! Please do let us know how you made the hazelnut cake and hazelnut buttercream, they sound divine . As for keeping the dacquoise crisp, i tried painting mine with melted cooled white chocolate and it seemed to do the trick . lasted almost the whole day after which it started softening a bit. Yummy none the less =)

Posted: 04 December 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-14

Thanks chocoholic. I’ll use a little bit of chocolate to seal it from absorbing water. like you did. I’ll let you know how it turned out this weekend.
The secret ingredient will be a spash of hazelnutliquor wich I brought home from my summervacation. (We live close to France) 

The hazelnut dacquoise I baked yesterday was not so good. Used an oventermometer, but it took double the time and stil was spongy (raw) in the middle. More than just a little spot. So I am baking an other one right now.
My first time for dacquoise.. so… I hate ?nd love the process of trying out, failure/ succes… Dealine for the finished cake is friday.. coming close… It is just for my brother in law’s birthday, but still would love to make a perfect present.

Posted: 09 December 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-14

I did the cake!
Friday I gave the cake as a present, it was very nice, not perfect, but almost..
As you could read above this post; After underbaking I made another one and might have overbaked it. It wasn’t brown, but very crisp, almost hard. I sealed the cake with some white chocolate I brushed on, not 100% though, I did not want a thick layer, so maybe 80% was covered. I made some mousseline buttercream with hazelnut liquour and some pralinepaste. Made a little ganache with a splash of armagnac in it, wich softened it perfectly. So daquoise, MBC, chocolate genoise, ganache and everything in repeat. Covered it with marzipan, coloured with green matcha tea. I am a big critic on my on cake, so I liked it, but I thought the dacquoise was too crisp/ hard (so the white chocolate seal did work), I also thought the chocolate overpowered the hazelnut. Now the hazelnut was complimenting the chocolate, not other way around. Next time I will make a hazelnutcake (dacquoise) I will combine it with a more neutral genoise.
The funny thing was; my sister in law called me and told me she had the left over cake the next day, (so 2 days after assembling) and it tasted even better, because ‘that crispy layer was nice and soft”. Haha, so.. the chocolate seal doesn’t last that long, but on my (slightly overbaked) cake even better.. 

I feel like I didn’t master the dacquoise yet, but I hope to become better, because it is a brilliant cake layer.

Here a picture as well. I would hope someone can have a look on the inside picture and can tell by view if it is overbaked or not.

edit: the picture didn’t work.. ;-( its to much pixels. hmm…

Again.. hope this worked. Added the ‘outside picture’ as well, just for being a little bit proud of it.

Image Attachments
kraanvogeltaart binnenkant gecomprimeerd.jpgkraanvogeltaart 2 gecomprimeerd.jpg

Posted: 10 December 2012 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Oooo ahhh, I love that cake!  Chocolate, praline bc and dacquoise all sound like they’d be wonderful together.  The colors and decor are so tasteful and elegant, I love that it’s marzipan and not fondant, more deliciousness smile  Thanks so much for reporting back on how long the dacquoise stayed crisp with the chocolate coating, I’m going to go write that in my book.  So glad you posted!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 15 January 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

hieperdipiep - i know im late on the reply but justs saw this now nd couldnt help but tell you how gorgeous your cake looks and sounds. what a delish combo i cant wait to try that out =)